6 Replies Latest reply on Jul 25, 2012 5:16 PM by markburmeister

Clearspace Feature Requests

Hi,

Having been managing the content of our newly launched community site for a few weeks now I've a number of features that I'd say would be either essential or highly desirable for clearspace management.  I know some of them have been mentioned before but I thought I'd put my wishlist down in one place:

Sticky threads - in a busy forum it's important to be able to keep high priority or time critical threads highlighted on the threadlist.  The standard way would be to allow moderators to 'pin' the thread, overriding the chronological listing filter for those threads and consistantly placing them at the top of the thread list

Merging threads - currently there is no option to merge threads within a community forum.  This is essential functionality for a busy public forum in order to keep the content focussed and manageable.  Ie - if there is a high profile event that is going to provoke a lot of postings the likelihood is that many users will not search for a relevant thread but will instead simply start a new one.  The potential then is to end up with tens of threads about the same subject, all with a couple of postings in each, which then clutter up the forum and disspate discussion rather than focussing it.  It also serves to drive other discussion threads off the listing pages.  It should be possible to merge one thread into another - it need only be as simple as placing the posts from thread two into thread one in chronological order following the last post from thread one.

Options of display on 'recent / popular forum post' widgets. - If this is already an option I'm afraid I've not found it - It would be preferable to be able to display the thread title with pagination and the option to click through to the last unread posting rather than just a link to the last post int he thread.  If it's a busy forum with threads carrying tens or hundreds of comments then a user probably wants to read the thread in order not jump straight to the end.

Pagination of threads - again this might be something I've not found - it seems that threads are sometimes paginated, sometimes not, depending on the link pointing to them.  It would be preferable to be able to set post limits for standard page breaks in threads that apply accross the whole community.

Better defined management roles - currently the administrative functions for site management (ie banning users, setting reward levels, amending email templates, managing social groups and their content) is merged in with technical support (server set up etc).  Whilst that might suffice for a small business where one person does everything for an enterprise implementation within a large company those roles are going to be operated by different people.  In our case this is causing unending conflict around access levels as the technical team are unhappy at sharing an adminstrative level.

I may think of some more but that should do for the moment.

• Re: Clearspace Feature Requests
          Ryan Rutan

Jive, any responses to these?  Sounds like this guy is coming from a Forum solution...and given that Forums is under the hood...it seems like these types of features might be there, but unexposed, and/or strategically left-out?  Would be nice to know what are the most common feature requests from those looking to migrate from an Enterprise Forums solution to Clearspace, and possible paradigm shift complications to help train business users on etc...Interested to see if we can get some public documentation and/or response to this such that others are aware.

As a rule, +1 for user-preferences regarding content-display options.  Seems like a natural pagination setting in User Preferences next to Thread Style.  System default setting, with User override...happens all over the place in Clearspace. =)

Hi,

Thanks for the feature requests, these are great.

• Sticky threads - check out CS Feature Request - Sticky Threads for a thorough review
            • Merging threads - this feature request is filed as CS-12711 and I added your vote for it
            • Options of display on 'recent/popular forum post' widgets - interesting idea. Jive Forums did have this functionality, but we removed it from Jive SBS since we wanted to put the focus on the activity that generated the actual content stream event, rather than on the overall thread itself. Would you want to give the user two link icons, one for the specific message and one for the latest message in the thread?
            • Pagination through threads - if you set the thread view to 'Flat' instead of 'Threaded' then the full thread is paginated. You can do this in the User Preferences page.
            • Better defined management roles - this is something we're actively working on for the 3.5 release.

Thanks,

Greg

• Options of display on 'recent/popular forum post' widgets - interesting idea. Jive Forums did have this functionality, but we removed it from Jive SBS since we wanted to put the focus on the activity that generated the actual content stream event, rather than on the overall thread itself. Would you want to give the user two link icons, one for the specific message and one for the latest message in the thread

Yes - that's about the size of it.  My reasoning is that much of our activity is heavily discussion based with single threads that are heavily used so always being pushed the last chronological posting doesn't work very well at all.

EG.  I'm a user and particularly interested in responses within a certain thread, I read all that's there on day one but then don't revisit the discussion forum for another three days.  In the meantime the discussion in that thread has amounted to a further 325 new postings - what I need to do is pick up reading that thread where I left off on day one not just read the last one - which currently means I have to scan backwards through all the posts until I can pick up the discussion where I left off.

The standard practice in forums seems to be that the threads are listed in 'last updated' order on your forum page with links from each one to the first post, the last post and most importantly the option to jump to the last unread post eg:

forum_postings.jpg

• A - Jump to the first post in thread
                • B - Jump to last unread post in thread
                • C - Jump to point within thread
                • D - Jump to last post in thread
                steve_heine

Its 2012 now, can you do this yet?

Is this feature planned?

We've noticed users will have outlook discussions with users who are not in Jive, and will CC the jive-discussion-vcard hoping to move the discussion. Instead we get 20 RE:####  threads created