2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 21, 2009 6:05 AM by it2000

How to change the target address of a bookmark?

it2000

Hi,

I did create a bookmark. While this was an easy task I now face some problems:

I want to insert the bookmark into a thread or document - but there is no "insert link", "bookmarks" option. One can search for bookmarks but it's not found. Either "search" is broken or it ignores the URL and the title of the bookmark.

So I open the bookmark manually and then I insert the bookmark with "insert link", "browse history". This works fine but the "page title" is inserted and not the bookmark title which I did specify. So I wonder why I did specify a title for it. 

As content and domains do change within the internet I need to update the URL itself, otherwise it points to a dead link. So I click on "edit bookmark" and I miss this option. Should I "remove" the bookmark and create a new one? What about the references within documents to it?

Any ideas?

LG

• Re: How to change the target address of a bookmark?

Hey LG,

Thanks for the feedback! Long time no talk...

Anyway, that is a good idea to have a bookmarks tab inside of the link picker I will add that as an improvement request.

I am not certain what is going on with your search but we aren't currently indexing the url itself in the search engine, there is an improvement filed to do just that so when we work on that I will make certain that search is functioning as expected.

As for the title that you specified this is a bug that has been fixed and will be available in the early April release of Jive SBS.

As for the final point about links changing, we do have some ideas in the works as to how to handle the situation gracefully for end users. Stay tuned for more on this.

Thanks, as always, for the great feedback it is very helpful... hopefully we can get all the kinks ironed out soon.

Cheers,

Alex

• Re: How to change the target address of a bookmark?
              it2000

Hi Alex,

leader of the famous "Spark Web Ajax" project. Looks like you spend most of your time here, while I do not post very often here.

I did post this issue a few weeks ago in the "Jive Lounge" @ignite as the beta was not yet available for donwload. It made little sense for me to post this issue of a pre-release version here. Anyhow it seems that issues which are posted @ignite are not really tracked.

There are some more issues I did post there ("Bookmarked By" displays random characters --- bogus character or encoding in "Insert Link" --- Bug: blog date wrong ? --- language issues). Anyhow I have no idea whether these were problems of the beta which are fixed in the 3.0.0 version. Maybe you want to take a look at them.

"As for the final point about links changing, we do have some ideas in the works as to how to handle the situation gracefully for end users." - I can imagine that in a public forum similar to ClearspaceX this may be problematic while in a private forum no one will abuse this.

A version history and collaboration option similar to the one of documents may be nice.

LG