8 Replies Latest reply on Mar 30, 2010 11:12 AM by anthony

Adding Splash Screen

edovale

Hi there,

I have a use case where I need to add a splash page that will come up before the actual default page in clear spaces. Can any one shade some light as to what's the best way to achieve this?

Thanks a lot.

Erick.

• Re: Adding Splash Screen

Do you need it to be presented to the user everytime the login/arrive to the site? Or just once, like a T&C page?

Anthony

edovale

Hi Anthony,

I need this page to come up the first time the user visits the site. The idea is to use a cookie to know if the user already saw the splash or not.

Thanks.

PS: I am not sure what a T&C page is.

Yes, we too are interested in presenting a specific message to every user ONLY the first time he/she accesses the community. It woulb be a Terms Acceptance message, that users should click and accept. Their acceptance should then saved to user database in order for us to have proven track of users acceptance.

How to do this?

My best,

Marcello

Sorry for the delay on this - I missed the other response.

This could be done in a plugin, you can either write a global interceptor or add a filter. Basically, the idea would be to catch the user if they do not have an extended user property set, and hold them at a page. Once they "accepted" the page, they would then have a user property set that would then allow them to bypass this on subsequent calls.

Cheers,

Anthony

Hi Anthony,

Can you explain a bit about extended-user property to set. Do i need to add some property for a user.  if yes then where do i need to save it. Any DB/table?

I have concern to save the property key-value in DB for a user as no. of user can be 1 million ( i am taking a random figure).

I am using SBS4.x

BG.

Hey BG,

For setting / retrieving user properties take a look at our Javadoc. If the user is viewing a page, they would be in cache already so shouldn't be much concern in terms of performance.

You should be able to implement this functionality without creating any additional tables of your own.

If you need additinoal services work please contact your Account Rep and they will be able to direct you to the appropriate Jive Services contact.

Anthony

Hi, thanks.

Could you give more hints on how to develop a plug-in for Jive SBS? I would need to pass this information to our programmers. Thanks.

And... Isn't it possible that a similar plug-in already exists? :-D

My best,

Marcello

Marcello,

Take a look here for the plugin documentation:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/builds/docs/clearspace/latest/BuildingPlugins.html

It is possible that someone has created something like this - but it might not meet your exact needs.

You could then extend Filter:

public class TermsAndConditionsFilter implements Filter { }

spring.xml:

<bean id="termsAndConditionsFilter" class="com.jivesoftware.plugin.termsandconditions.TermsAndConditionsFilter">
                                  <property name="jiveGlobals" ref="jiveGlobals"/>
                              </bean>

Then inside that filter you can do what you need to do in terms of checks - you can always display the splash screen on entry...you can keep track if you've displayed it before, etc.

Cheers,

Anthony