3 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 2:31 PM by greg2

Non-Moderator Tag Editing

mark.schwanke

On T-Mobiles Forum any user can add Tags to another person's post. Unfortunately they cannot edit them as well. http://forums.t-mobile.com/tmbl/board/message?board.id=Motorola1&thread.id=86

I would like it if any user on Jive could add/edit tags on root posts.

T-Mobile allows you to add Tags to the root post and reply posts. I imagine there would be complications by allowing reply/response posts to have their own tags. Would this improve Jive search if the people responding and answering questions were able to put descriptive tags. I often see that the Subject and the tags used by the root poster(are usually coming to post one question) are not descriptive enough for the content of the post. Certainly Moderators could have the ability to edit the subject and/or modify the Tags to make them more appropriate. This could be time consuming when the moderators are spread thin. By allowing people responding to enter their own descriptive tags this would helpful to others if the subject line doesn't tell the story. The answered Icon is certainly helpful to lead the customer to threads that have answers.

Could anyone lay out the Pros and Cons to the following scenarios.

1. In the admin console give all Registered users the ability to Add Tags to the Root Post

2. In the admin console give all Registered users the ability to Edit Tags to the Root Post

3. In the admin console give all Registered users the ability to Add Tags to Any Post

4. In the admin console give all Registered users the ability to Edit Tags to Any Post

Some websites also give you the opportunity to "Thank" someone for a helpful answer. http://www.everythingq.com comes to mind. I think it is great when the original Root Poster says that a response is helpful or it solved the issue. It would be great if others who come along and find the answer are also able to thank the respondant with a helpful answer.

Mark

• Re: Non-Moderator Tag Editing

Hi Mark,

Thanks for bringing this up. The ability to 'thank' others in a community is very natural and makes a lot of sense. This improvement is filed as CS-3260.

As for these scenarios, I'm assuming by "in the admin console" you mean to provide the option to do so:

> 1. In the admin console give all Registered users the ability to Add Tags to the Root Post

We've discussed this many times internally, and it seems like you would want to distinguish between the original poster's tags and the community tags, but that both should be used by the search engine.

> 2. In the admin console give all Registered users the ability to Edit Tags to the Root Post

Editing other people's tags seems like a recipe for unhealthy conflict in the community. Editing your own tags is great, and of course moderators should be able to edit the tags.

> 3. In the admin console give all Registered users the ability to Add Tags to Any Post

Tagging replies can get confusing pretty quickly as to the meaning of the tag, even though there are some use cases where it could be helpful. In general we've taken the approach that the top-level content is the tag target and the comments or replies are related to those original tags.

> 4. In the admin console give all Registered users the ability to Edit Tags to Any Post

See the answers the #2 and #3.

Thanks,

Greg

1 person found this helpful
            • Re: Non-Moderator Tag Editing
              mark.schwanke

Greg-

Yeah, Sorry for the confusion.

I did mean for the ability to enable the functionality in the Admin console.

1. Perhaps you could put tags in 1 HEX color for the root poster(and admin edits) and another color or highlighted for a community member additions.

2. I admit I've add a few tags on t-mobile forums in order to improve users capabilities to find things, editing would be great if something added didn't add any value. It would probably be necessary to have a metric tracking users who edited tags. This way you could block that user if they become disruptive to a community by adding spam tags. However there can be a real value for large communities where the moderators may not be able to go in and fix all tags. Point taken though.

3. Similarly to #2, I've noticed on the T-Mobile forums that sometimes users give great solutions and it doesn't come up in search. If it did others might find it. If response posts were tagged hopefully 3rd party apps and other solutions might bubble farther up on search results.

4. Hopefuly in most cases it is advanced users who would contribute by editing them and not malicious folks.

Mark