23 Replies Latest reply on Feb 24, 2014 8:44 AM by Nick Church

Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Compliance

Running a tool like WebKing on our Jive instance (CSX 1.10.7), or the Jivespace community reveals several severe violations, possible severe violations, violations, and possible violations against WCAG.

For example:

Source: ./jivespace/community/features - Line: 1038 - Severity: Severe Violation
      WCAG 2.0 Success Criterion 4.1.1: 
      The id "jive-icon-avgrating-1" must be unique in a document.
      [DuplicateIDReporter2]

Source: ./jivespace/groups/ - Line: 791 - Severity: Severe Violation
      WCAG 2.0: Success Criteria 1.1.1, 2.4.4:
      Image "/jivespace/groups/image/1005/0.png?a=12963" must have a meaningful description in the ALT attribute or in the surrounding link body.
      [ImgLinkAlt2]

Source: ./jivespace/community/jivetalks - Line: 1479 - Severity: Severe Violation
      WCAG 2.0: Success Criterion 1.1.1:
      The ALT attribute must be defined for image "/files/images/jivetalks/jivetalks-hersh.png".
      [ImgMissingAlt2]

Source: ./jivespace/thread/41925 - Line: 4308 - Severity: Severe Violation
      WCAG 2.0: Success Criterion 1.1.1:
      The ALT attribute must be defined for image http://www.jivesoftware.com/community/images/emoticons/sad.gif".
      [ImgMissingAlt2]

Source: ./jivespace/blogs/ - Line: 354 - Severity: Possible Severe Violation
      WCAG 2.0 Success Criterion 2.1.1:
      Mouse events must be paired with key events to be accessible.
      [KeyMousePair2]

Source: ./jivespace/community/developer - Line: 540 - Severity: Possible Severe Violation
      WCAG 2.0: Success Criterion 1.3.1:
      List container should contain list items. Use CSS to achieve presentational effects.
      [ListElements]

Source: ./jivespace/tags&recursive=true - Line: 310 - Severity: Violation
      WCAG 2.0: Success Criteria 1.3.1, 4.2.1:
      Do not use the LABEL element implicitly.
      [Form4]

Source: ./jivespace/blogs/ - Line: 235 - Severity:Violation
      WCAG 2.0: Success Criteria 1.3.1, 4.2.1:
      Form controls and their labels should be explicitly associated with the LABEL element.
      [Form4]

Source: ./jivespace/bookmarks/ - Line: 404 - Severity:Possible Violation
      WCAG 2.0: Technique 9.4:
      It is recommended to combine adjacent image and text links that point to the same resource.
      [AdjacentImageAndTextLink]

For large companies. web content accessibility is a taken seriously, and can result in public facing sites being shut down if they are non-compliant.

I was wondering, what is Jive's position on making the Clearspace/SBS compliant with the Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG)?

• Re: Web Content Accessibility Guidelines (WCAG) Compliance

Hi Damian,

We see WCAG compliance as increasingly important, and recognize that having the app validate and reasonably compliant with various standards, like 508, is important in many deployments. We have a project spinning up after major UI work is done on the current release to take an inventory of where the application is doing well, and where it is not, so that we can prioritize and address the most important areas of improvement.

Thanks,

Greg

I trust this project will involve bringing 2.5.x into accessibility compliance. Please confirm.

Your Clearspace customers who do not have the flexibility to change their entire platorm to what SBS 3.0 requires still need to be compliant.

greg wrote:

We see WCAG compliance as increasingly important, and recognize that having the app validate and reasonably compliant with various standards, like 508, is important in many deployments. We have a project spinning up after major UI work is done on the current release to take an inventory of where the application is doing well, and where it is not, so that we can prioritize and address the most important areas of improvement.

So  now the "current release" has become te "previous release", is there a roadmap you can share on WCAG compliance?

Hi Jochem,

We have been making some incremental improvements to accessibility in Jive SBS over the last several releases (and have made good overall progress since 2.5). As this has become more of a priority for our customers, we have also undertaken a more comprehensive assessment project, as Greg described. Through that and our work with customers and partners, we have identified several new areas for improvement. I invite you to share any that are of particular importance in your community as well. Where possible, we will address the most significant issues in patch releases; other, bigger projects, are slated for our spring 2010 release. This will be an ongoing effort. The standards themselves are evolving -- especially where user-generated content is involved -- and we look forward to working with you, our customers, and the members of your communities, to create the best possible experience for everyone using Jive SBS.

Best regards,

Olivia

Olivia Teich wrote on 10/31/2009 7:37 PM:

We have been making some incremental improvements to accessibility in Jive SBS over the last several releases (and have made good overall progress since 2.5).

Could you elaborate? I have really no idea what progress is being made

because the devices I try can not even login to these forums because the

login is inaccessible.

As this has become more of a priority for our customers, we have also undertaken a more comprehensive assessment project, as Greg described. Through that and our work with customers and partners, we have identified several new areas for improvement. I invite you to share any that are of particular importance in your community as well.

It is not all that easy to restrict the list to the areas of

particular importance. I'll try to limit myself to three issues

Access without Javascript. Certain areas of the site are only accessible

if you have Javascript enabled. I can live without the nice autocomplete

feature of the search, it just means I have to type the whole search

key. I can not live with a reply screen that requires Javascript and

simply refuses to post if Javascript is not enabled. Same for the "New",

"Your stuff", "History" and "Browse" links. And especially the links to

navigate to the next page of issues in a community or messages in a

thread. (Its incompatibility with the regular back button of browsers

should be  sufficient reason to change that regardless of accessibility

issues.)

Javascript should be used to enhance the user experience, but should

never be mandatory to get access to certain content.

Documentation. The end-user documentation you have is to little, and the

quality is to low. Lots of behaviour that end users have to deal with is

not described at all and what is there is an endless summation with

insufficient visible structure to be readable. (And don't get me started

on the developer documentation.)

Clean HTML. In many places you are putting stuff in the HTML and then

hiding it with CSS. For instance, every user gets to see all the links

to remove and expire announcements when he visits a Jive site in Windows

Mobile. Only when they click on the links, they get an error they are

not an admin.

Just write the if statement in your .ftl.

Where possible, we will address the most significant issues in patch releases; other, bigger projects, are slated for our spring 2010 release.

Could you elaborate on what you are planning for the spring release?