27 Replies Latest reply on Jun 27, 2011 8:37 AM by C.Radis

How are YOU using Analytics?

For those of you who are involved in actively managing your communities, how are you currently using Analytics? What tools are you using? What types of goals are you measuring against?
        • Re: How are YOU using Analytics?
          Ted Hopton

Truth: not much at all, because it's too hard to create my own reports. I'm really excited about this group because I want to learn from others and leverage the reports they've already created. I expect once I have copied a few examples I'll get better at creating my own.

Right now I use web stats from Omniture most heavily, and I use Excel to create my own metrics by combining those with various stats from Jive SBS reports. But I've only created one report from the DW, and it had some suspect results in it.

Hey Ted,

What kinds of reports are you interested in creating?

And just out of curiosity, what was the data that seemed suspect?

Any suggestions where to Start? I've recently turned it on and havent really analyzed what sort of

things I can do. My System Admin installed it but he's away until this Wed - Kathryn Everest of Jive suggested that we have an internal meeting with her regarding what's best to use Analytics. 

theparallaxview

Struggling here too. Looking at setting up a Linux box to run PostgreSQL so we can draw down the data and then begin to analyse it. A bit of a tortuous route but we need that data and the analytics module isn't supplying what we need.

I think I'm in the same boat as a lot of others - we have a number of communities, so the aggregate information in the standard reporting is only of minor interest. I installed postgres on my laptop, imported the data dump, and everything appears to be going well. We have a session with Barry on Wednesday to go through it in more detail, but my initial response is that it's great. A little extra work to learn the schema, but at least I get full control over the queries and what I want to report on.

Ted Hopton

Hi Karl,

I want to create tons of reports... but I just don't have an SQL skillset or mindset. Really am aching to get the 4.0 reporting capabilities.

The one report I created pulled in user account info and I tried to use it to check that people who had left the company actually had their accounts disabled. The problem was that a fair number of accounts showed up as Enabled but in fact they had been disabled (and this was confirmed by admins going in to check those accounts). I have no idea why the report was incorrect, and had no idea where to start to figure it out, so I just stopped using the report.

In short, the hurdles I have to go over to get anything usable out of the DW are many and huge. I'm highly motivated to develop and use sophisticated reports, but the time I've spent trying to do so has not been productive in terms of results.

Hi guys,

Thanks for the feedback. Of course we're aware that the current Analytics offering isn't as accessible as we'd all like. The good news is that the data is all there for the taking, it just takes a little more work.

I have been testing out some simple reporting using the Jivespace Analytics database. My goal is to learn more about how customers, prospects, and Jive employees connect to information and each other, and hopefully use that information to generate some ideas of how we can better structure this community to serve the needs of its users. Perhaps the most interesting thing about this project is that it's giving me unique insights into what you all must consider as community administrators and planners.

Here are a few samples of the kinds of queries I've been using to generate reports:

Which spaces are the most widely read/viewed?

select c.name, count(*) from jivedw_activity_agg_day d left join jivedw_container c on d.dw_container_id = c.dw_container_id where c.container_type = 14 and d.activity_type = 10 and d.user_id > 0 group by c.name order by count(*) desc;

Which customers create the most cases (i.e. threads)?

select c.name, count(*) from jivedw_activity_agg_day d left join jivedw_container c on d.dw_container_id = c.dw_container_id where c.container_type = 14 and d.activity_type = 20 and d.direct_object_type = 1 and  d.user_id > 0 group by c.name order by count(*) desc;

Which users read the most content? 

select u.username, count(*) from jivedw_activity_agg_day a left join jivedw_user u on a.user_id = u.user_id where a.activity_type  = 10 group by u.username order bY count(*) desc limit 100;

Which users read the most unique pieces of content?

select u.username, count(distinct a.direct_dw_object_id) from jivedw_activity_agg_day a left join jivedw_user u on a.user_id = u.user_id where a.direct_object_type = 1 and a.activity_type = 10 group by u.username order by count(distinct a.direct_dw_object_id) desc;</sql>     

Which users create the most cases?

select u.username, count(*) from jivedw_activity_agg_day a left join jivedw_user u on a.user_id = u.user_id left join jivedw_container c on a.dw_container_id = c.dw_container_id where a.activity_type  = 20 and a.direct_object_type = 1 group by u.username order bY count(*) desc;

Which users search the most often?

select u.username, sum(activity_count) from jivedw_activity_agg_day a left join jivedw_user u on a.user_id = u.user_id where a.activity_type = 170 group by u.username order bY sum(a.activity_count) desc;</sql>

Perhaps you can use these queries to get started on creating a few of your own? Do you have any ideas for similar queries you're struggling to put into the right format?

Brad.Fitzgerald

I just got access to our Analytics DB today and the first report I created was a User report.  I also found that several users whom we had deleted from our production DB were showing up as Enabled in the Analytics.

I am accessing the data through MS Access since I know how to create queries and reports through that tool.  I ended up having to recreate a lot of the table relationships in Access to get some usable data. I manually created the Activity Type Table and Object Type table in the tool but that took all of 10 minutes.

I  when link to a table via access, it does take some time to figure out what everything means because most of the recorded data is just numbers that relate to other tables.  Lots of foreign keys and that business. I guess it makes for an efficient database but it is a little difficult to dig into.

When we look at analytics for our communities we break them into different sections.

1. Traffic related - We use Omniture to capture this information. This includes

• Who is visiting the communities
                          • Where are they coming from
                          • Referrers from external sites or promotions
                          • Search Engines/ SEO effectiveness/Keyword Search
                          • Page Views - Anonymous versus Named user
                          • Visits
                          • Unique Visits
                          • Unique Visitors
                          • Geo locations they are coming from

2. Engagement related - We rely mostly on Clearspace for this. Hopefully with Jive SBS 4 Analytics module that we are upgrading to later this month, we would be able to get better reporting.

• What are members doing once they are in the community
                          • What type of content they are created
                          • Downloads of native documents
                          • Active members
                          • New members

3. Member related - We rely mostly on Clearspace

• Members  - Customer versus Partner
                          • Membership in a group

Here are few things our Community Admins are asking for.

1. Mashup of above reports. e.g. Engagement by user profile.

2. On Demand reporting such that they can obtain any of the above reports for their communities at any time.

3. Reporting only for their communities