6 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 1:35 PM by barry

Posting code in a B2B community

Can anyone share with me the policies their companies have around posting code, development tools, etc. in a your communities?  Do you have moderation in place or are your employees aware before answering questions the guidelines around what they can and can't post?

Any feedback is greatly appreciated.

• Re: Posting code in a B2B community
          JamiePappas

Hi Cere,

We actually have a combination of the two.

While we do not do strong moderation (meaning we do not screen every post), we do keep an eye on what goes on, and ask for the community manager's assistance in making sure things stay on track within the communities they manage.

Additionally, we have a "rules of engagement" model where we do set forth certain guidelines and expectations for community participation -- namely acting as a professional representing the company, not sharing anything that would be detrimental to the company such as information about products before they are launched, proprietary information, etc.

Hope this helps!

Best,

Jamie

We recommend that you have a set of posting guidelines established in advance for employees who will be interacting in the community. These specify the limits of their help in order to not only guide the employees, but also to establish norms for the community at large. These guidelines should be reviewed in conjunction with meetings to explain what the community is trying to accomplish. Don't just send the guidelines out via email, discuss them.

We've found that most employees want to understand what they can and cannot post well in advance of actually working with the community.

For developer communities, if the goal is to enhance the code it needs to be shared. If the community is for technical support, then you might not want the code shared if it would cannabalize traffic to a paid support resource site. There is a fine line between helping in the community and impacting a revenue stream. Since you'll need support from multiple areas within your organization, make sure you understand what the multiple concerns are prior to establishing your guidelines for employees.

Regards,

Mike

Is there anyway you could share those guidelines with me?  Thanks in advance.

I created a draft code of conduct but haven't been able to get anybody to take a look and comment.  Would there be value in sharing here?  I mean after all, even with different kinds of organizations and communities, I gotta think the codes of conduct will be about the same.

JamiePappas

Hi Daniel-Robert,

Isn't it funny how people have an opinion on so many things, but when you ask for feedback on "rules" or "guidelines" everybody gets very quiet

I'd be happy to review/discuss it with you if you'd like.

You can reach me at pappas_jamie@emc.com or through here, of course, if you want to post them out here.

Best,

Jamie

Daniel - thanks for posting your Acceptable Use Policy for review/feedback.  You might also want to check out this document: http://www.jivesoftware.com/clearstep/docs/DOC-1031