11 Replies Latest reply on Apr 6, 2010 8:19 AM by grsnovi

How do social media technologies augment traditional LMS systems?

This issue has been coming up a lot lately. In your organization, do you see social media and networking technologies augmenting traditional learning management systems or replacing them all together. If so, how do you see your organization managing the change?

• Re: How do social media technologies augment traditional LMS systems?

Good question Cameron, and I hope others will chime in (Kevin, John?)

I've been talking with several voices in the education community this week alone, and looking at what education conferences are focusing on.  All signs point to a new social learning method referred to as a Collaborative Learning Environment (CLE).  It sounds a lot more exciting and globally reaching than just LMS, that's for sure, and it addresses the needs of a growing community of informal/social learners.

wallyrogers

Yes, this is our situation.  There is collaboration software included with the new LMS.  The question I've been asked is, so why keep Jive?  Why not use the new e-learning system for enterprise collaboration?  

An LMS focuses on courses, scheduling, grades, curriculum - it focuses on CONTENT.  Unfortunately, most of what we learn happens outside and in between those times.  When we want to learn this way, we have to focus on the people.

Using Jive or another social community platform allows us to learn from each other.  If the training department wants to control all the learning, they are out of their mind.  They should realize that they, currently, control very little of the learning.  These environments allow the learning to take place out in the open so more than one person can learn, rather than 1:1 through email or something like that.

At Western Governors University we have actually embarked on this path. We are a national, competency based, online institution with approximately 12,000 students. As part of our model, we do not provide instruction, but rather students work on their own through the curriculum. We are using Jive ClearspaceX ver. 1.10.8 (we are taking steps to test 2.5.x with our systems now) as our learning platform. We have setup a community for each or our learning domains. As students move from domain to domain, they move from community to community. Since students are responsible for their own self-directed learning, the learning communities are one of a number of learning resources available to the student. Each community has a SME that is responsible for both the management of the space and facilitation of learning in the community. The idea is that students will be able to co-create their knowledge by interacting with others in the community. A second factor and one of the reasons for using social media technologies is that, when surveyed, our students have always said that they feel a lack of connection with other students.

We are almost a year into this initiative and feel like we are finally making progress. There was quite a challenge getting faculty first to buy-in and then understand the difference between using traditional LMS and social media. Since the only learning model that we really had in higher ed has been traditional LMS, many folks were trying to use tried and true LMS management on a social media platform and were very frustrated that they couldn't do what has always worked in the past. Also, since student involvement is entirely voluntary and there are no cohorts, folks have struggled with how to facilitate learning in an open ended forum instead of leading or managing the learning as they were used to in other online high ed settings.

Tom  - I have the same questions Rick has, as we look at how we integrate our LMS (SumTotal) with our Social Intranet (Jive SBS).

We can set up learning objects with the current functionality of Jive SBS, yes, but how do you give credit for courses taken, or set up and communicate a structured curriculum?

Any Jive Person:  Are there any plans to integrate LMSs into a new Learning Content type in Jive SBS?

Jennifer

aqualung

It sounds to me that the objectives of an LMS and a social medi/networking tool are sufficiently different to warrant a different toolset. I'm also not sure that Jive should attempt to turn SBS into an LMS, but should continue to improve its capabilities in discovery of experts, sharing of ideas and unstructured information - to work in parallel with an LMS with the strucutred curriculum (and perhaps more importantly the more formal tracking of progress through that curriculum). I think the original question shows the right outcome - SBS should AUGMENT an LMS, not replace it.

The objectives of the two systems are definitely different, but there is a need for mild integration in the following ways:

• Ability to insert lists from the LMS
                              • to list specific courses/curriculums (either recommended or required) for community (space) members
                              • to see My Training  Schedule amd My Recommended Schedule (which are just lists) within My View
                            • Ability to have conversations, ratings, etc. around courses
                            • Ability to extend the federated search to include searching the LMS and return results in a separate tab
                            • Ability to link to courses without employees having to log into a separate system (probably less of a Jive thing and more of an IT thing)

I'm with you on this Rick.  SBS actually should become the center of the learning universe - the Learning Portal, if you will, which drives users to all learning content.  Some of the more traditional content will be accessible and tracked via the LMS.

Bersin and Associates did a nice case study on IBM's Enterprise Learning Portal.  Worth a read.

Tom, you mentioned that they work through curriculum, which implies to me that there's still a topic-based road map that students follow on their journey from community to community.

Do your instructors provide the curriculum, or are the students responsible for also building the curriculum?  Or do students have input into the curriculum?

Also, how have you been able to measure learning?  It's fairly straight-forward with LMS systems, but how do you attach fixed grades to dynamic social learning environments?

I love what you've described btw.

Kevin, have you seen the new Clearspace Education Materials group that Gia started recently?