2 Replies Latest reply on Feb 25, 2009 3:32 PM by Roxy

How do you deal with confidential information in attachments and audit logs?

We have a developer community forum for customers and partners (hereafter referred to as user).  It is hosted and moderated by our company, and it is not open to the public, so the user must have a valid account created for them in order to access the forum.

As part of assisting the users, we sometimes will ask for audit logs or example code.  Sometimes these logs or sample code will contain authentication information (e.g. URLs, session ID, username, password).  How do you handle that, if at all?  Is the stance that if the user posts information that could harm them, that is their responsibility?

Taking it a step further, what if the user posts an audit log file that contains customer data (e.g. first & last name, email address, phone number, mailing address, etc.)?   This information is "buried" in the attachement/audit log, but it's still out there and could be abused if it fell into the wrong hands.

I know there's the Forum Access Agreement which include clauses like, "You must bear all of the risks associated with your use of the Forum, including without limitation the risk that you will be provided with erroneous information, or poor advice, and the risk that you will infringe upon third party rights."  But I am curious to see if others face this situation and if they just let the Forum Access Agreement cover it, or if there are other ways that organizations are handling this situation?

Thanks!

• Re: How do you deal with confidential information in attachments and audit logs?

This is a grey area that requres a  lot of care.  I would make partners and users sign an NDA, or "rechannel" logs and such to another pipeline that's private and not post them.

Kelly

• Re: How do you deal with confidential information in attachments and audit logs?

Thanks for the suggestion, Kelly!  If others are trying to figure out how to handle this situation, here is some other advice that I received from another community:

I've always felt that a strong policy that indicates that users should not, under any circumstance, post any personally identifying information (full name, personal e-mail address, phone numbers, etc) or content that poses a risk to their security is absolutely essential for all Communities. In almost all Communities that we provide Moderation Services to, we remove any content that falls under such an umbrella.

Protecting users and their identities/safety should always be the top priority.

In your particular case, I'd say that having a cohesive policy and enforcing it probably isn't enough. Perhaps some more education is in store for your users? You may find success in creating a small FAQ that alerts users to the dangers of uploading thier logs and such, and explain the steps to eliminate any risks without sacrificing the integrity of the data that they are attempting to provide you access ""