8 Replies Latest reply: Sep 5, 2008 12:34 PM by drgoochmobile RSS

What are community metrics that you measure?

We are interested in hearing what other community managers are tracking in terms of metrics.  Here are a couple that we look at. 

* Conversions from website (people coming to js.com then to Clearstep).

* Proactive outreach conversion rate & new members from outreach

* # of unique non-customer community members

• Re: What are community metrics that you measure?

Would anyone be willing to share the dashboard they use for reporting?  I'll post ours once it is complete...

I my community reports could use some work on automation for sure, but currently I report the what I would referee to as the standard metrics; Numbers of post, threads,document, new registration, active members, points awarded, percentage of non employees users. Along with a full Omniture web statistics report.

Oh I also include the most popular discussions, documents and tag cloud.

To make your reports stand out and show customer satisfaction include positive quotes from the community as well.

Would be great to hear what others are reporting on as well.

We report on pretty much the same things. Who has access to these reports? Do you make them public to everyone?

Best!

I do not make these reports publicly available. The report is posted in a private section of the community that is reserve to the contributes "Moderators" and steering committe members.

Are there examples of what people have set as quantitative goals for adoption and use of the community?

How much adoption, engagement, and activity is reasonable at 1 month, 2 months, and beyond? We're just getting started with this and I'm trying to get a sense for what other people have experienced as far as adoption in the first months of using a social networking tool.

I do like the suggestion to take the positive quotes and add those to the numbers reports. The real stories make the numbers more compelling.

Thanks!

danielrae

summers wrote:

I my community reports could use some work on automation for sure, but currently I report the what I would referee to as the standard metrics; Numbers of post, threads,document, new registration, active members, points awarded, percentage of non employees users. Along with a full Omniture web statistics report.

Oh I also include the most popular discussions, documents and tag cloud.

To make your reports stand out and show customer satisfaction include positive quotes from the community as well.

Would be great to hear what others are reporting on as well.

I'm very similar.

I report weekly on:

• Total number of users
                    • Number of new registrations this week
                    • Number of customers (taking the total membership number and subtracting the number of users I know are staff, partners and test logins)
                    • Number of actual customers with a maintenance contract
                    • Number of new posts and threads
                    • Number of new blog posts
                    • Percentage of visits that are: from direct traffic; from referring sites; or from search engines

I then add my own weekly comment, such as what I read from the stats, latest campaigns, popular discussions, and palns for the forthcoming weeks.

This report goes to my management team on a Monday morning (right about now!)

Gia Lyons

Hi Karin! You are talking about an internal deployment specifically, correct? The reason I point this out is that the items measured for an external online community are usually very different from what is measured for an internal collaboration deployment.

You may want to also post your question as a new thread in the Internal Collaboration space, since many who've deployed internally monitor that area.

drgoochmobile

Because of the way in which we use our (Clearspace) site, I acutally don't get the right kind of metrics.  We operate a hybrid internal/external community because you have to be an employee of a member organization to get access.  So it is closed in terms of content and who can join, but at the same time these are not our "employees."  Accordingly, perhaps, a lot of people qualify as "lurkers."  They read content more than contribute.  Although we hope and expect this to change, for the time being what I would love to see are metrics stats around how many people are logging in, reading content, duration of stay.