4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 17, 2009 11:11 AM by mdcrocker

Expectations and definitions around comunity governance

Hi,

We are looking at the Big Picture questions.  As a new internal community, we have both Business focused and Social communities.  The question that come up is how to define a  Business Community vs. a Social Community.  This relates to the criteria and process to start a community.  While it is easier to require an Executive Sponsor and the business related need for one community, how do we define it for a social oriented community?  The folks that get worried, such as legal, are not happy with the open approach of allowing any one to start a community that is not in violation of company policy. 

We are also looking at the new role definitions related to a community: Executive sponsor, community owner, moderator (subject matter expert).

Anyone have defintions and processes that work for thier community?

Thanks

Mike

• Re: Expectations and definitions around comunity governance

Hi Mike,

I think you should only focus on defining Business Community governance at this point. This is because, typically, people use Clearspace groups for Social Communities, because they have membership. You'll see them also used as team workspaces. The people who join these groups tend to bring a pre-built level of trust with them for that group. Thus, less need for moderation and governance.

Also, keep in mind that the "report abuse" feature, and the fact that nobody can post anonymously, keeps folks from being stupid.

I'll post when I have more time re: Business Community governance good practice...

Thanks.

We are in the process of reworking the company policies to make sure we include the social media communities.  While the focus is on defining the process around the business usage, social communities have already started popping up.  We wanted to figure out how the process changes and to remind folks that they are still covered by the company policies.

Mike

Ted Hopton

In our company, we've made the assumption that our employees are (a) professionals and (b) they understand that when they are using Clearspace they are in a virtual version of the office, so all of the same expectations about conduct in the office apply here, too.

We let communities form wherever someone wants to create them. We push "governance" issues down to the local level as much as we can, while still coordinating all of the local communities at the enterprise level.

In our short history (six months or so) with our Clearspace implementation, we are rapidly growing in usage and adoption. My takeaway is that when it comes to governance, less is more

Hi,

I agree.  We have been up for around 5 months, have over 7400 members, and have not seen any issues.  Unfortunately, even with polices in place, legal and HR are more about stopping than opening.

Mike