2 Replies Latest reply on Mar 9, 2009 9:19 AM by Ted Hopton

Piloting Clearspace

Hi All,

I'm not totally sure this is the right place for this discussion but I'm hoping there are some folk out there who can provide answers based on how they piloted or rolled out their Clearspace Communities and whether they had similar discussions and issues with IT which they had to deal with.

I'm actually working on the IT side for a very large corporate who already has pockets of Clearspace running in the organisation. One in particular has been setup at the end of last year (very well I may add) by a business unit but IT is now assisting in migrating this onto IT's pilot infrastructure and extending the pilot to other business units to form a pilot of approx 10,000 users.

The pilot is not running in a production datacentre therefore we are going to have to move all of the data again, should the pilot be successful, to the right infrastructure.

As this is a pilot, we wanted to provide guidelines to the business pilot group on the number of spaces, groups, projects etc. which they should try and adhere to. This may mean restructuring some of their current communities as there are already over 250. We have already done extensive performance testing on the pilot infrastructure and have some good numbers we think the environment will happily support.

How can we ensure that these numbers are not excessively exceeded? What approach is most likely to be accepted by Business Community Managers and the end users?

The other issue is around file attachments and how we should approach them. We would love to be able to have the attachments automatically going to one of our corporate Document Management Systems to prevent having another document silo or duplication of files but it seems there is no easy way for us to do this within the timescale for the pilot and there is concern over the impact to the user experience of a technical solution which alters the document attachment process.

How have other companies approched their pilots and were they successful? Has the scale been determined purely by governance and good practice or actually do you see there is no problem with scale and getting participation is more the issue so we should be less worried by limits we are unlikely to hit. The pilot is scheduled to run for 3 months but from my experience it could run for longer.

Our approach in IT is certainly not about limiting (other than for licence restrictions :-) ) or altering the experience as we want the pilot to build on the success so far and get other BU's to embrace and work together with IT as partners on it. It's more to do with ensuring the pilot platform is stable so the experience is not impaired and it remains in good shape for an easier and lower impact future migration to a production environment.

• Re: Piloting Clearspace

Mike, I moved this thread over to the Internal Collaboration space so it's more visable to the audience your message is targeting.  There are some great people here that have similar experiences with pilot programs.

• Re: Piloting Clearspace
            Ted Hopton

There's lots of value in having a discussion in here about this. Wish it had been here when I was in pilot mode!

My first comment is to simply relax and let the communities do what they want to do. It's a pilot, so let them try anything they want.

I'm not saying you should not guide them, advise them, mentor them or train them -- you must do all of those things. But setting and enforcing limits would not be (and was not) on my list of things to worry about in the pilot phase.

A big appeal of social media software is that the users are in charge. While that is a scary thought in some ways, it's why these tools are so powerful. And with that power and potential comes some risk of messiness, disorder and mistakes. All of which are OK! Look at your social media platform as a constantly evolving ecosystem that will never be finished. Just as in nature, some groups will go down dead end paths of development... and either die out or get rescued by benevolent colleagues.

Those are my first thoughts. I may add more later -- good luck with your pilot!