4 Replies Latest reply on Jul 1, 2009 4:39 AM by colledgi

How do I limit the access to view and respond to a discussion question

We have users who want to limit the viewing and response to a discussion question without the limit of the space being all private?

• Re: How do I limit the access to view and respond to a discussion question

Hi Larry,

Your timing is impeccable

Currently in Jive SBS, there is no concept of creating a discussion and keeping it limited to specific people, but it's something we're in the process of exploring.

Using our current SBS Discussion construct, we want to allow people to maintain focused discussions with others and keep access to a few key people (specified by the discussion author). Note the addition of "Add People" near the bottom of the discussion creation form in this early comp:

private_discussion.png

In this comp, I have added Nick, Aaron, and all of my connections that I have labeled with the name "Design Folk" (the type-ahead user picker will search connection labels as well as users).

On a related note, we're thinking about ways to do the same thing with SBS documents:

visibility_peepsChoosing.png

This new functionality would allow users the option to control who sees differing types of their content (document shown) in SBS, by specifying the audience. Co-authorship options are retained in "Collaborations Options".

Does this approach address your question? Does the interface make sense to you? Got suggestions?

Any feedback is helpful, good or bad.

Thanks!

Ted Hopton

This is very cool! It may cause a few hurt feelings, but that's okay :-)

Will you be offering this for documents, too? I've had that request a number of times: "can we make this one doc private?" Or, more often, in a restricted space there may be one doc that should be shared more widely: "Can we let everyone see just this one doc, but not the rest of the space?"

Edit: Duh, I read the description too fast and didn't notice you already said you're working on it for docs, too!

Message was edited by: Ted Hopton

This is very cool! It may cause a few hurt feelings, but that's okay :-)

That's a good observation, and we're sensitive to it.

We've heard some concerns that private content belies the concept of collaboration, and that inaccessible content does little to foster peoples' interactions around it. But, in offline office situations, focused side discussions like this are critical to productivity and are a natural part of team dynamics. So, there's a lot to consider there.

In the end, we figure the benefit outweighs the risk, and by adding the ability to disable this functionality from the admin console, are providing a way to offer this feature with little risk.

Thanks much for your feedback!

The big downside to this of course is that it eliminates the benefit of the wisdom of the crowd that you get with open discussion. Something not to dismiss lightly.