14 Replies Latest reply on Dec 15, 2011 2:27 PM by bepinjose

SBS Desktop

Is there a plan to have a desktop widget/gadget app that can be launched at startup for internal communities? I just got done doing a round of focus groups inside my organization and since all of our work is now browser-based, there seemed to be an interest in being able to access information in our version of SBS through a desktop app. Anyone doing this? Jive have an opinion about this?

• Re: SBS Desktop

Hi Nova,

I have heard this request a few times before, in particular around notifications. Is the main use case notification in which people want to have a little toaster popup indicate new activity of interest? Or, is there another set of use cases that your community members are looking for?

Thanks,
          Greg

The main use case was around searching for items. Like a small search bar tool. A lot of our employees don't live in their browser all day, so the desktop is a way we can reach them.

Nova Newcomer

COMMUNITY MANAGER

DIR           503-575-4109

hi Nova,

Like Greg said we don't have anything out of the box right now that gives you the ability to place a search box on an end users desktop but there are some things you might be able to do now if your end users are using Vista and in the future, Windows 7.

In Windows Vista you can create sidebar gadgets (more information here: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa965850(VS.85).aspx) and because we support a search standard called OpenSearch, you should be able to write a quick gadget (I believe they are created using HTML and JavaScript) that uses our OpenSearch tool to enable users to search right from the sidebar. 

In Windows 7, it appears that Microsoft is actually supporting OpenSearch as a first class tool and you can hook up directly to an OpenSearch provider using Windows Explorer (or whatever they're going to call it in Windows 7), more information on that support and how to set it up here:

http://www.blogsdna.com/2260/how-to-create-windows-7-search-connectors-federated-search.htm

Finally, I know that this doesn't address your out of the browser needs, but users of IE, Firefox and Safari can all add Jive SBS as a search provider in those browsers, more information about how to do that is available here:

http://www.jivesoftware.com/jivespace/blogs/jivespace/2008/06/27/searching-clearspace-from-the-firefox-search-box

hth,

AJ

Thanks for the great info and also the tips on searching Clearspace from the browser toolbar!

Nova

Nova Newcomer

COMMUNITY MANAGER

DIR           503-575-4109

Hi Greg,

I actually think it would be interesting to drag and drop files into a widget and select the workspace they should show up as.

This would be very helpfull.

Andre

Great, thanks for the additional use case Andre!
                        nikhilnulkar

Just curious to know if we have any news on a desktop app in the plans? Anything Jive is planning to bring in or if there is a plugin for it already or if things will change with the new app store coming into picture with Jive5.0? Anyone has any insights into this?

Hey Nikhil, I've moved this discussion to our Product Innovation and Feedback area - I'll ask someone from product management to chime in.

Hi Nikhil, there are no plans at this time for a stand-alone desktop application. Our strategy has been to integrate with the applications that users are already employing in their daily lives such as Microsoft Office (PowerPoint, Excel, and Word) instead of trying to create another application for users to install and maintain. We'd be happy to give you a demo of our Jive Connects for Microsoft Office module at anytime! 

Please let me know if you have any questions about our approach or would like to talk through what an ideal desktop application would like like for your org.

nikhilnulkar

Oliver - Thanks! We are already aware of MS Office Connector but then I was talking more in terms of a desktop app to manage conversations, status & notifications - something like what Tweetdeck allows us to do with social sites on the web - such as twitter, facebook, linkedin, foursquare etc. Do you think we have that in the roadmap anywhere - particularly with the App Store coming in now?

Nikhil, unfortunately Jive Apps are designed to run in the browser, not on the desktop, so there is not really a shortcut there. We do not at this time have a Tweetdeck like stand-alone desktop application on our roadmap.

Please look at the old Groove desktop application and the way it handled notifications in the tray or the current desktop app for Yammer. Even if you turned your mobile app into a desktop feature, and add an icon in the toolbar to quickly notify the user of changes, that would be 100% improvement and remove our need for Yammer.   It is wrong to assume that people are spending their time in the browser all day. That doesn't happen. It will hurt adoption from our team coming from Yammer, Groove, and Sharepoint Workspace Services.

bepinjose

Hi Oliver,

Where can I read more about features of Jive Connects for Microsoft Office module? I have a use case to integrate an excel based business process into Jive that also involves some database level integration.

Thanks

Bepin