12 Replies Latest reply on Sep 5, 2008 4:39 AM by g11ary

looking for

I have recently wanted to set up 3 sites.

A blog site for car club members to add projects, and use as a my space type car blog site.

A wiki site, so that myself and car enthusiasts can add content and create an on line knowledge base for all to share.

And finally a form, but the forum I'd like to create is one where I can get the fragmented other forums to come under one roof, but let them manage themselves as they are now

A friend of mine recommended Clearstep, but you offer several software that sound like they may do want I want, but should I do it as 3 sites or does your suite of software manage this from 1 site

so could a forum intergarte and offer blog pages and wiki section

Do you think I should keep them all separate?

And what software do you recommend?

• Re: looking for

Gary,

Jive's Clearspace Community provides Forum, Wiki, Blogging, Social Networking, etc. in one comprehensive platform.  You can get more information about it here: http://www.jivesoftware.com/products/clearspace-community

We designed Clearspace Community specifically to address the problem we saw with most online communities which is to separate the community based on technology.  Meaning, a user has to go to one place for the forum, another place to interact with the wiki, and a third to view the blog.  In many cases those were three different types of technology, which made management and configuration extremely difficult.

Now, there are a lot of community vendors on the market, but many still segregate the content into siloes.  If you look at the navigation of many of these solutions, you still have the forum separate from the wiki separate from the blog.  We recommend that you look at organizing the community based on the objectives of the members, or by topic, and not by technology.  As you can see here on Clearstep, we are organized based on topic, and all the forums, wiki, documents, blogs are in one location focused on providing the content for that topic.

JamiePappas

Hi Gary,

My $0.02 cents is why have it all separate since it's the same topical interest when you can have it all together in one experience and users can very easily browse and opt in to what they care about the most?

If there are certain types of content that users prefer, they can search on those types alone in Clearspace. And my opinion is that by having them all together, you'll be even more likely to bring together even more experts on your topic than if you had three separate sites.

People tend to like to have "one stop shopping" and just pick out what they prefer than wonder what they're missing because they have to go to multiple places for different (but highly related) things.

We love having blogs, wikis, and discussion forums all together in Clearspace. It works well for us.

Best,

Jamie

Thanks Barry and Jamie

Please bear with me as Im new to computers and have no experience of this type of software.

I have used Actinic to create my shop but I want to offer to our car club and customers a knowledge base, a place for them to use just lie face book or my space, and as a forum to chat.

So I can do all this with Clearspace 2.5, I guess the domains I bought for the wiki, forum and blog I could point them all to one domain.

For someone that is a novice, how easy is it to custom and build your 3 in 1 site.

I do have bulk hosting so could upload the clearspace to the domain/space I have, is this easy to do and how easy is it to maintain.

I did read that clear space will upload and host, take care of maintenance, back ups and upgrades, but in the evenings if searched I have found no prices to either option, or any mention of what band width I would have or space if hosted by Clearspace.

How can I get running costs or set up costs??

Is there a Clearspace company in the UK that I could get lessons from?

JamiePappas

Hi Gary,

No worries. I personally am happy to help by answering any questions you might have regarding our experiences with Clearspace.

Just for your context, I manage our enterprise-wide Clearspace installation, which we refer to as EMC|ONE. We currently have over 7,000 active users on the site, and have enabled wikis, blogs and discussions for all of the users.

We find that our users opt into the things they are most interested in and most comfortable with and use what works for them, but very much enjoy having it all together under one umbrella to pick and choose what they like the best.

Might I suggest that you download an evaluation copy of Clearspace if you have not already done so? You can find it on Jive's website. You see an option to try it for 30 days, or you can also check it out within the "test drive" area.

That was actually how I learned to use the software and customize some aspects of it myself when we first got up and running a year ago. It'll be a local copy so you can practice building it out and customizing it to your liking, following the documentation that Jive has provided for these types of activiites.

Please, feel free to ask any questions you have along the way. I'll help as best as I can.

Best,

Jamie

Thanks jamie

I will go download a trail and have a mooch around.

Is this software Apple compatible or will I need to use it on a PC or load in parallels?

I'll wait for Barry to give me some costs and recommendations as to hosting, and see if there are UK teachers, as i am a 1 man business time is very precious and the quicker I can get this running and with minimum effort the better as I seem to be working every night till 1-2 am, I dont need more complications.

Thanks

Gary

JamiePappas

Hi Gary,

I believe it's Mac compatible since every time I meet with the Jive folks, they're carrying around snazzy Macs and I am stuck with my Dell ;-)

We happen to have our internal instance of Clearspace hosted by EMC in-house and our external instances hosted by Jive and their partner, OpSource. We have been very pleased with both, quite honestly. Additionally, what bugs we have run into, Jive's support team has been great in addressing quickly, so that's another vote of confidence and will save you lots of time in the end.

Barry will be able to give you the full scoop on all that is entailed in each, as I'm more on the front-end UI and community managment than the back-end technical stuff.

You're very brave to do this on your own. My experience has been the hard part is setting it up, putting up some interesting content in the beginning so that it's not empty when you start, and then inviting people to it. But once they are there and the conversations start, it's fantastic and pretty much evolves to become largely self-sustaining with folks contributing their expertise in areas they are passionate about.

Best,

Jamie

Ive just downloaded to have a look around.

I still cant anywhre on any of the clearspace or Jive sites any mention of costs.

That worries me as usualy if you cant see the price in the shop window its usually because you cant afford it.

Why arent Jive or Clearspace upfront with pricing?

and how do you get your photo to show, I added it to my profile 2 days ago but I just have a silhouette.

Gary, sorry for not responding sooner to this thread.  I'm excited that you are willing to try out Clearspace.  Make sure you check out the support community if you need additional help on the evaluation process.  In regards to pricing, our target market is the Enterprise, and not SMB space.  Most SMB companies have a SaaS model and thus publish pricing online.  However, in the Enterprise space, it is not a common practice to publish pricing online as there are a lot of variables that affect pricing, such as page views, number of servers, etc.  If you would like to talk to a sales rep and get an idea of pricing, please contact our sales department at sales@jivesoftware.com

WTF

what is supposed to mean what to a non computer guy

is that star ship and yes that could be painful LOL

I'll shoot them over an email and ask thanks

Sorry about that Gary.  SMB stands for Small & Medium Businesses.  Enterprise are typically Fortune 2000 sized companies. 

Thanks

That would make sense.

And it was a friend of mine who works for a fortune company that recommended the software.

barry wrote:

If you would like to talk to a sales rep and get an idea of pricing, please contact our sales department at sales@jivesoftware.com

I have spoken with sales and to be honest, as a one man operation your software is just priced crazy, I can see why it is only fortune 2000 companies that can afford your product. $34000 to buy or $73000 to have it hosted. Man thats just mad.

I will have to graciously decline your offer to buy this software and keep searching for something more in my price range I did contemplate VBulliten at only £80 per year but will need to source wiki and blog, unless I can find another all in one product.