4 Replies Latest reply on Feb 12, 2010 9:40 AM by pearlgm

Content Maturity/Difficulty Levels

What if there was some way to rate the "Enterprise 2.0 Maturity Level" of the content in Clearstep. It seems to me that various users are at various stages of the game when it comes to E2. Clearly the Jivers have a ton of exeprience. Perhaps there are some newbies who don't. Do the things they want to talk about fall along that scale as well.

For example, I have a few E2 implementations under my belt. Perhaps I want to discuss a topic further down the maturity scale like platform migration or leveraging internal collaborative communities to crowdsource business strategy. Conversely, you wouldn't want newbies to not have a place to still discuss adoption best practices or use policies. Both types of content are equally important, focused on the same domain, but consumed by different folks in different stages of implementing E2.

Maybe this is something like a difficulty scale? Not really sure, just thought I would toss this out there for discussion. I could be completely off my rocker...(I usually am...)

• Re: Content Maturity/Difficulty Levels
          aqualung

Not completely ...

This community certainly seems to be a broad church, as you say, and probably intentionally so. Did you have a specific reason to want to 'segregate' (sorry - probably the wrong word) discussion - ie to make sure that more experienced participants and newbies don't trip each other up?

My feeling is that, like water, community members would fairly quickly find their own level, and work 'up' from that point.

Nate,

Not off your rocker from a Knowledge Mngt. perspective. Being new to these tools I'm a bit fuzzy as to whether Clearspace doubles as a Knowledge Mngt. tool.

Personally I think it does and therefore may have offended the purists -- so apologies ;-)

From a KM perspective I would also be interested in rating (and by inference, filtering) content at 3 levels (eg. Expert, Competent, Learning/Induction). The whole idea is to serve up content based on where a person "is at".

If I'm a newbie then I can easily get lost and led up the garden path on various topics because it's the old "can't see the trees for the forest" concept.

Because it's a filter mechanism only, then if I want to be a "sticky beak" I can also opt in to look at everything.

So, I say -- new feature!! Bring it on!!

I am coming in late to the discussion, but I want to put my two cents in.

I don't see the levels as a way to segregate content. Instead, as a new Jive user, I would see them as a way to keep my head above water.

Getting started with a new platform can be like drinking out of a fire house. I am trying to get my head around how to do things in Clearstep that I can do easily on other platforms. I am not saying those things are hard here - rather, I am saying that I need a way to find those things here before I go into the higher difficulty discussions.

I want to be able to find the content I need without taking too long to find it. A series of knowledge management settings on the content would allow me to filter out the stuff I know already (or at least buzz through it) while I get my head around the differences from platform to platform. For me, that means I want to be able to put the theory discussions on the sideline until I know the tool inside and out. Then, when I am more familiar with how THIS tool works, I can come back and read all the great commentary and discussion on the stuff of real interest - the lessons learned about community from everyone else.

Seems to me that one could accomplish the same thing through the use of tags.  If people wish to follow certain tags or tag groups, this would personalize the content to their level of maturity.