6 Replies Latest reply on Apr 28, 2009 5:42 AM by JoeCotellese

Community (Space) vs Groups in Clearspace

afinan

Can someone explain the technical and functional differences between spaces (used for Communities here) and Groups in Clearspace?  Why would I use one over the other?

Thanks! Angelique

• Re: Community (Space) vs Groups in Clearspace

From a functional perspective, Communities/Spaces are created by a select few who've been given space admin privileges. They should generally be used to provide a high-level structure to your Clearspace instance, and should include both cross-departmental communities and, if necessary, departmental communities. Check out The specified item was not found. for some lessons learned from other Jive customers. There is a taxonomy of spaces, and whether they are private or not is decided by the space administrator.

Groups are created by anyone who has group creation privileges. This should be any authenticated user. They are independent of spaces, and should be used to create ad hoc groups around a specific topic. Those topics can range from "Ice Cream Fanatics" to a group of people who may actually want to get some work done. The fact that an end user can create a group and decide to make it public or private at any time is quite powerful. And, it's easier than trying to find the right space administrator to ask them to create a space, then to figure out where the space should sit in the taxonomy, etc. There is no taxonomy to Groups. Just a directory (Browse -> Groups)

You can only create projects in a Space (there is already giant request to also include them in Groups in the future)

There are more small differences, which are rapidly disappearing with each new point release I'm using inside Jive (currently running 2.5.2 dev).

Let me know if there's anything specific you'd like to hear more about!

I'll definitely second the request for the ability to create Projects within Groups.  We're currently in discussions with Jive PS to have a Calendar and Tasks built into Groups, so this would eliminate our need for that and ensure more flexibility and ease of implementation for future upgrades. Thanks!

We have a need to use the Calendar in Projects more globally in community and group spaces.  For example we would like to have a rolling list of upcoming events (conferences and webinars) at the community level.  I'm sure that groups would want a calendar for task planning similar to a Project.  Suggestion:  Maybe the Project capability can be optionally added to a community or group the way discussions, documents and blogs are?

I agree John - that's near the top of my wish list too.  If we had project features within groups, then we could almost use Clearspace as an LMS too (along with some plugins that helped track people's usage of the course material and assignment), don't ya think?

Cool idea, I think it would be great to have at the community level as well, but I don't know how that works with the architecture.  I suspect most communities have events that they want to highlight.  Events tend to be synchronous so a claendar approach lends itself to displaying ordering events, etc.

gialyons wrote:

You can only create projects in a Space (there is already giant request to also include them in Groups in the future)

There are more small differences, which are rapidly disappearing with each new point release I'm using inside Jive (currently running 2.5.2 dev).

Groups/Spaces is really a big source of confusion for me. I don't understand the distinction enough to create a coherent set of guidelines for my users. As the differences begin to go away, why have spaces at all? Conversely, if there are no distinct advantages of a group vs. a space, how do you keep users from creating too many groups?

One advantage to spaces for content is that individuals can tune in to the RSS feeds for that space. If groups are created out of band around a topic that should probably go into a space then it will be hard for others to find out about it.