12 Replies Latest reply on Feb 7, 2011 12:41 PM by gdugappa

Does SBS 4.x supports/implements SEO friendly URLs?

Hi,

I want to know whether SBS 4.x follows standards to make it SEO compatible? If not, then is there any guidelines for implementing same for customized site?

Can anyone suggest me how can i make my site/application(sbs4.x)  more SEO compatible?

BG

• Re: Does SBS 4.x supports/implements SEO friendly URLs?

I have this same question and additionally want to know if the tagging in SBS does more than just organise content - does it also integrate on the backend to support SEO? All of the e-commerce CMS platforms I've worked with have all had this capability - that is take a tag and use it concurrently to organise and SEO integrate. So it's not a new concept...

Hi Sharon and Jive User,

I've bridged this discussion to Jive's internal community for more input... stay tuned!

Out of the box, Jive generates SEO-friendly URLs for spaces, groups,  projects, and blogs; e.g.  example.com/community/blogs/marketing/2010/05/example-SEO-friendly-URL.

As far as other SEO benefits, here are a few out of the box:

• All pages are readily accessible by search engine  crawlers out of the box (not hidden by javascript or other  elements that exist in some CMS systems)
                • Page  Titles are based on document/discussion/blog titles – arguably  the single most important factor in on-page SEO keyword strategies
                • Breadcrumb  navigation is automatically generated to help promote a strong  information hierarchy for primary landing pages

For the specific questions around tags, the page's meta keywords can be made to populate from the content tags used when creating each piece of content so they are readily accessbile -- is that what you mean?

Similarly, in the case of communities and sub-communities, the meta descriptions are set based on the descriptions for the page.

Great information Paul!  Thanks.

When you say:

"For the specific questions around tags, the page's meta keywords can be made to populate from the content tags used when creating each piece of content so they are readily accessbile -- is that what you mean?"

what does 'can be made to' mean? What parameter needs to be set to do this?

Additionally, from my own knowledge of SEO and from my consulting vendor, I thought that keyword tagging was best done without underscores. So, the two words of fruit salad wouldn't be set as 'fruit_salad' but instead as 'fruit salad', with multiple phrases comma separated. However, within our current release our SBS platform requires the underscore. Any suggestions?

Cheers,

Sharon

Hi Paul

Is there a plan to get documents SEO frendly as well?  Currently documets render as such: http://www.thefamilydish.com/docs/DOC-1021  i would like it to pull the title of the document.  Is there a way to set this up?

I have discussed it with the Product team, and it is on the roadmap. I'm not sure where in the queue though. I'll ask the team.

While this is something we'd love to be able to address, there are large issues with doing so across all content and this is not currently planned.

We have explored this extensively and there are a number of challenges. These include security of non-public content (for which even the title, and potentially also the URL if the name was represented there, can be sensitive) and URL uniqueness. Currently, document URLs do not take into account where the document lives. One benefit of this is that URLs never break when a document is moved. If document URLs used descriptive words instead of IDs, many of our customers would quickly run into problems trying to come up with a globally-unique name for new content. Alternately, we have looked at requiring that names be unique only to the place the content is posted, but then there's a set of problems when the content is moved.

We absolutely recognize the value of more SEO-friendly URLs and making content URLs more human-readable. This is an area we will continue to explore as we evolve the platform and I will certainly let you know if we do come up with an elegant solution that makes sense to pursue.

Hi Jive

Can you let me know if SEO friendly url's are on the roadmap?

I'm currently at JiveWorld and have spoken to quite a few customers who see this as a big issue.

I understand that the product has been build this way(current url structure) and that SEO friendly URLs will be a major change. (Most forums software providers started by providing the service/software for internal facing communities (inside companies) and so SEO friendly url's were not an issue at all. Right now all major companies have external facing forums and see forums as an integral piece of their Social Media mix.)

Given the fact that all websites today follow a standard URL structure which is SEO friendly it will be extremely helpful to have the Jive url's in line as well.

Thanks

Vivek