9 Replies Latest reply on Mar 31, 2011 10:22 AM by bg2dot0

Limiting access to documents in spaces

Hi, I'm completely new to this, and am currently testing the system for British Sugar, I have a space that is dedicated to call resolution, i.e. people blog the most common faults and their solutions to them. However in order to ensure that the space is used properly I would like to be able to stop people from adding documents to this space. Is there any way to do this using permissions? or is there just a tick box to limit the structure?

All help much appreciated!

Regards

Ben

• Re: Limiting access to documents in spaces
          Billy Volpone

Hi Ben,

I believe you may be in one of our Jive Express instances, which is the lightweight version of our full enterprise SBS solution. The biggest difference between the two is that Express does not have a full admin console and therefore you cannot set advanced permissioning around spaces.

The easiest and best way for you to accomplish what you mentioned is to actually create a social group and when selecting content types, only choose "blogs". This way, anyone joining or being active on the group can create blogs but not documents or discussions.

Feel free to reach out to me with any further questions. Also, if you're thinking that our full SBS is more of the solution you're interested in testing, we would love to hear more about your project and set your team up with a demo.

Regards,

Billy Volpone

Hi Billy,

thanks for the info, sounds most likely. We are indeed trying the 45 day hosted version. So are you saying if we purchased the hosted version we would be able to gain this level of control? Or is it the case that we would need to install it to our own servers for this sort of functionality?

Kind Regards

Ben

Billy Volpone

Hi Ben,

Good question, but actually Express is our lightweight version and does not change when you purchase. What you see now is what you will always see. Express is built to be more lightweight and live on the cloud for the purpose of allowing quick roll outs and viral growth.

Our full enterprise SBS can be deployed both as a self-hosted solution and we offer a full SaaS model. What is best to use all really depends on your use case and how many users internally you think you'll be rolling out for. If it's greater than 500, we should chat about the full SBS, if it's less than 500, we should start on Express and see how to grow our solution from there.

As for your immediate question though, using groups will be your best method. Spaces are meant to be broad and more of a "table of contents", so to speak. Groups are for topic based and dynamic collaboration, and within Express, they allow more permissioning. Feel free to contact me directly with any further Express questions as I manage that platform for Jive.

Regards,

Billy Volpone

503-972-3259

billy@jivesoftware.com

Billy

This is interesting. We are looking at a Sharepoint Jive solution where all of our docs reside in sharepoint and we dont want to turn to Jive and have to cleanup documents later. But we do want to introduce Jive before out full integration is ready. So building upon this thread - can any Jive space restrict the type of content - i.e restrict people fromposting documents? Or is it only certain types of Jive space wher this can occurr. I am new to Jive and realize I might not be using the correct terminology (i.e space) so please feel free to correct me. thanks

Billy Volpone

Hi Bruce,

Thanks for posting. What you're asking about is actually extremely easy to do. With any space that is created, or as you create new ones, you can alter what is allowed in said space. For example, you may not want blogs in a given space.

This is altered within the admin console. If you have access to that, you should find the launch button under "Your Stuff" via the navigation bar. Once in the admin console, click on spaces, pick the space you're referencing and then when you go to edit it, you should see simply check boxes around all of our collaborative content types (ie: documents, discussions, blogs, etc).

I hope this helps.

ok - so you can do it as a space is created. Can you apply a global setting so that ANY space that is created is similarly restricted? And, can we alter this global setting once our integration is in place? 

Billy Volpone

Hi Bruce,

I would love to help you with this one but now you're getting more into a territory in which you should have your account manager bring in one of our engineers to make sure we get this answered correctly. I do know that entire features can be turned off for Jive, but a sales engineer or professional service rep would be able to answer if that can be restricted to spaces or groups and where you would find that switch.

jlevi

Hi Bruce,

We would have to look into turning off documents across the board.  You can alter the permissions for the top level space in Jive and have all other spaces inherit from it and that would globally turn off documents.  But since you may want documents to be visible from SharePoint, it is more likely that you would restrict the ability for many users to create documents in Jive but allow admin users to create documents.  There is a flexibility in the product for that.

Thanks Joey. We are thinking (not set in stone) that initially we provide Jive access to folks who currently don't have access to SharePoint - as our SharePoint implementation is mostly limited to IT right now. So making documents visible from SharePoint in this initial phase MAY not be a requirement. We are working through these options almost as we speak. The option of admin users to create documents is something we would consider.