7 Replies Latest reply on May 27, 2010 1:58 PM by tmaurer

Add Private Message to "New" menu

For cohesion of UI it seems to makes sense to allow creation of private messages from the "New" menu (if PMing is enabled). Thoughts on adding this? Thanks -

• Re: Add Private Message to "New" menu
          Curtis Gross

Hi Jacob,

We have a few pending feature requests that include improvements across the board for private messages and I will add your request (CS-9021).

Also, on the topic of private messages, have you checked out creating private discussions (4.0, 4.5) instead of using private messages?  Your content can then be threaded, add users at any time to the discussion, search on it later, etc.

-Curtis

Thanks for adding the case, and I look forward to seeing what's in store for PMs.

We have used private discussions and documents pretty extensively in 4.0 even already. Quite cool, though users have reported frustration when others are inviting you to their private disc/docs since they're hard to locate without a direct link/bookmark. Perhaps a "Shared Private Content" tab in profiles or something could assist if we haven't missed some feature around this?

tmaurer

Really good point, Jacob! I hadn’t noticed that bit before – that the only time you have a good link to a “personal” document or discussion you share with someone else is when you’ve recently commented on it and it shows in your recent activity. That is a serious flaw with this feature, IMO. It should function like Draft Documents, or else show up in the Your Latest Content section, just attributed to the author and showing the lock as it does on your own personal content.

Jive – plans to correct this behavior?

nick

We are looking at ways to make it easier to find your private content, but there is something in place that neither of you mentioned. If you go to Your Stuff --> Notifications, you will see all your invitations to participate in private content there. The invitation will remain until you dismiss it. Additionally, we when you have a new notification, we add a count to the Your Stuff dropdown and turn the Your Stuff header in the userbar orange to indicate new notifications.

Our plans in the next release will focus on improving the notifications as well as your ability to find private content.

Curtis Gross

Great points!  I will bring it up internally and see what is planned.

-Curtis

tmaurer

And one more thing that occurred to me - other than Recent Activity, how would anyone (but me) ever know if I posted an Open personal document? Unless, of course, I emailed it to them or they did a search. This feature seemed like a pretty cool way to share more about yourself, but if no one even knows it is there except you, it loses a lot of the value.

Like one of the things I was thinking is that people want to be able to post their whereabouts or vacation/travel schedule. Makes perfect sense to do it as a personal document. But with it essentially hidden, how does anyone know that I've made the effort to make the information available? I say you guys have a cool feature here, but only if you get it right. Please get it right.