1 Reply Latest reply on Jun 17, 2010 12:11 PM by olivia.teich

Jive Enterprise IM - what and how?

eliweir

OK, I'm really confused. Excited, but confused. I have some clarifying questions ...

1. What is this thing actually called?

Around the Jive Software site and in Jivespace, the functionality is referred to as "Jive Enterprise IM", "Jive Enterprise Instant Messaging", and "Jive Connects for OpenFire" (or OCS, etc). Is there an official name yet?

2. Can a user chat within the JiveSBS interface, or is an externaI client required?

I have had an OpenFire server for some time, which provided integration with Clearspace and now JiveSBS. With the release of JiveSBS 4.5, came news of a new module - Jive Enterprise IM. The Jive Connects for Enterprise IM.pdf for this states that "Jive’s Enterprise IM Module also allows users to chat directly within the SBS interface". This statement is repeated in the text on the Enterprise IM video posted demonstrating the functionality, "this allows for integrations with existing enterprise IM services such as  OCS, Sametime, or Openfire and allows users to chat directly within the  SBS interface."

I have installed the module (or plugin ... the terms appear to be used interchangeably which adds to my confusion) and indeed see presence information and chat links, including in a bar along the bottom of the screen. However, selecting a user to chat with triggers an external IM client. I cannot see any way to "chat directly within the  SBS interface", although being able to do so would be a killer feature.

3. Is OpenFire part of JiveSBS, or is it still a separate product?

The datasheet goes on to say that "OpenFire is now included as part of Jive." I assume that the writer intended to say JiveSBS, but is this actually the case? Can I uninstall my existing OpenFire server and use something that has been bundled up with the JiveSBS install? If so, how do I access this bundled functionality ... ?

4. Is Jive Enterprise IM (or Jive Connects for OpenFire) free, or does it require a paid license?

On the list of plugins and Jive Connects for Openfire for 4.5 & 5.0 of Jive Connects for OpenFire, it states that "This plugin is a commercial product made available here for the  convenience of our customers. Its use requires a contract and valid  license to enable functionality." However, I was able to download and use the plugin without a license.

5. Are extensions to the base JiveSBS software officially called "modules", or are they "plugins"?

Marketing information and copy on the Jive Software website refer to "modules", whilst the admin interface of JiveSBS refers to plugins (as do various places in Jivespace). Is this a migration of terms in action? It would be nice to have one name for things.

• Re: Jive Enterprise IM - what and how?

Hi Eli,

Thanks for the enthusiasm and great set of questions. We will revise our materials a bit to clarify these points, but for expediency I'll give some brief answers here as well.

1. What is this thing actually called?

The official SKU names are Jive Connects for Microsoft OCS, Jive Connects for IBM Sametime, and Jive Connects for Openfire. We refer to the full family of them as Jive Connects for Enterprise IM.

2. Can a user chat within the JiveSBS interface, or is an externaI client required?

An external client is required, but there is an in-browser component visible within Jive to see connections and initiate the chat.

3. Is OpenFire part of JiveSBS, or is it still a separate product?

OpenFire is a separate, opensource product. We've got history there and also wanted to provide a free, opensource option for connecting IM with Jive.

4. Is Jive Enterprise IM (or Jive Connects for OpenFire) free, or does it require a paid license?

Jive Connects for OCS and Sametime both require a paid license. Jive Connects for OpenFire is free and does not require a license key.

5. Are extensions to the base JiveSBS software officially called "modules", or are they "plugins"?

We call our paid extensions to Jive modules. Many are technically delivered as plugins.

Hope this helps!

Olivia