44 Replies Latest reply on May 11, 2011 11:10 AM by RyanSe

Why Are You Here?

Ted Hopton

Please introduce yourself to the group -- specifically, why did you join this group? What do you hope to gain from it, and what do you have to contribute to it?

If you haven't already, please take a minute after this to update your profile in the Jive Community, too, so we can click through and learn more about you.

• Re: Why Are You Here?
          ITSinsider

I joined because you asked me to, Ted. :-)  But, this is an interesting idea.  I'd like to see where it goes.

I'd like to learn from this group so that I can share emerging practices with my other customers. I also want to be able to confidently recommend others to join this group. Benchmarking is definitely something I'm asked about rather frequently!

Bart.Schutte

We're in the early days of our launch, so I haven't spent much time thinking about it, but our users are always demanding numbers.  I want to better understand this area so that I can show them what numbers are really necessary to be able to drive the community behavior.  Your presentation at #e2conf was great, and I figured this session would take it to a new level.

Ted Hopton

Thanks for the kind words, Bart. The Actionable Analytics session at Jive World is going to be light years advanced from what I showed at E2 in Boston. We've made great strides using the Jive Analytics tool. I'm very excited to share what we're working on.

At the same time, six months after Jive World I expect to be much farther yet down the road in understanding and using these tools. There is so much to learn and test out!

tmaurer

Susan stole my line - I'm here cause Ted asked me to be.

But honestly, I'm excited to see where this goes. Ted's already made some great strides in reaching out to users and finding out why their behavior has changed. There is still much work to do, and learning to gain, but I'm excited at the possibilities of using analytics to really understand and push forward.

I also think it will be great when we can start exposing some of the analytics to users to help THEM understand behavior.

• See document view growth charted over time.
                    • Does this show me where interest tails off and I need to update the document?
                    • Does an email push to a small group significantly spike traffic?
                    • Does a specific piece of content posted to a group spark sudden interest?

Actually, I'm here looking for your slides from JiveWorld10 and to see if you have examples of the actual queries used to get the data for these charts.

I know the data is accessible in the database to create the charts, but rather than reinventing the wheel, I was hoping to get some insight into tools and queries used.

Thanks

Jeff (Juice) Welch

kateklingensmith

I found your session on Wednesday *extremely* helpful and want to continue learning from you, Ted, as well as everyone else here!

We're launching our community (to a very large beta group of students & faculty at the University of Phoenix), so I feel very lucky about the timing!

Ted Hopton

Welcome to those who joined the group to follow up and continue the discussion from my presentation! I'm not quite recovered from Jive World but will get my slides up in the group next week.

I'll also begin writing about the Community Development Feedback Loop, too, since the slides alone aren't going to tell the whole story. And I'll post my spreadsheet, the Activity Segmentation Level Movement Report, as well.

In time, I'm happy to share the details of how to create the ASL reports (query and variable specifics).

everybody has analytics of some kind.  everybody can become an expert in Excel.  everybody can even put together a convincing presentation for their SVP that says they're doing a good job with "this web 2.0 stuff".  I'm here because I was impressed by your programmatic approach to analysis, action, and meaning in the numbers...I'm hopeful i can glean many new ideas from the conversation.

I'm also here because I retweeted the link and my team should be joining the group presently...and i want to make sure they become active participants in the community   If you're on the uCern team, the password is "Actionable Analytics FTW".

1 person found this helpful
                              Ted Hopton

Brian Carter wrote:

I'm also here because I retweeted the link and my team should be joining the group presently...and i want to make sure they become active participants in the community   If you're on the uCern team, the password is "Actionable Analytics FTW".

Love it, Brian!

Glad you enjoyed the presentation, and I look forward to you and your team's contributions to this group.

I joined because this "pass" we seem to be getting on delivering Hard Business Value is short. It will not be long before we are desperately trying to find the metrics that prove that Social Business Software needs to deliver measurable business value, or lose funding to the next "best thing".

Ted Hopton

Greg2dot0 wrote:

It will not be long before we are desperately trying to find the metrics that prove that Social Business Software needs to deliver measurable business value, or lose funding to the next "best thing".

Good point, Greg.

mbangash

Ted, I joined because I would like to learn from the excellent work that you have started - though I wasn't aware of it when I met you at the JiveWorld10 and I also didn't have the opportunity to attend your session. I just looked at your presentation which is superb and much advance than what we have done in house. I look forward to learning from and sharing experiences with the group.

I joined because I received the Password from bc5611.   I'm told the first rule of Actionable Analytics is to share with others about Actionable Analytics....

I work for Cerner and we currently have a really exciting social network for our Associates (internal) and clients/partners.

I'm currently interested in what keeps people coming back, signing-in and contributing.  I want to be sure I'm suggesting the appropriate things to my clients (with the appropriate data to drive it) and creating valuable communities not just crowds.

And I hope to be able to keep this conversation going so that it isn't just a post-conference hot topic and see how this changes as trends change in enterprise social media.

Luke work | Luke play

Ted Hopton

Welcome, Luke, and I like your first rule! I've been an admirer of not only Cerner's community but what you are doing with metrics since I saw Doug Wager's presentation at Jive World 2009. I'm sure we all have much we can learn from the Cerner team, so it's great that you all "volunteered" to join this group

Indeed, this is initially a post-conference discussion prompted by my session, but I want exactly what you do, for this to grow into a community where we discuss and share ideas, examples and questions related to analytics, measurement and community.

squigley

Isn't this a dating site?  Oh, my bad.  Actually I'm just trying to learn more about what this product does and how it works from a technical perspective.  What works and what doesn't. 

I joined this group because we are beginning to sit up our metrics and measures foir the launch of our Collaboration Communities and I want to learn from others and maybe prevent some of the common mistakes made in early community development.

I also joined this group as a suggestion from Brian Carter.  Ted - I really like your approach to classifying users in the community, watching how they move from category to category and then reaching out to a subset of users and get specific feedback.  I also hope to get ideas on how others are approaching this.

I joined on the recommendation of Tracy Maurer.  We'll be rolling out Analytics in a few weeks, and I'm interested in hearing what people think are the top 5 analytics (of most interest to Community Managers, internal).

Also, I'm really interested in learning about what training resources are available for the Analytics module (FAQs?  video?  etc.).

rickladd

Hi Ted and everybody else here:

I joined this group because I'm interested in how Jive provides analytics and how people use them to improve their organization's experience. I was responsible for the analytics we used at PWR for our implementation of AskMe Enterprise, which were provided by the tool itself and through my (kind of) learning Crystal Reports and querying the database directly. I also had the vendor of AskMe write numerous scripts for us when we wanted specific answers not provided elsewhere. I did this for almost eight years. I'm reasonably certain I learned something in that time, but who know?

In my opinion good analytics are especially useful as leading indicators of usage trends, giving admins and community managers crucial insight into patterns not otherwise obvious. However, I believe it is nearly an art to interpret what the numbers are telling you and caution is imperative. As they say, there are lies, damn lies, and statistics.

Hi Ted!

Ted Hopton

Good to see you in here, Rick! You and I need to have that phone call one of these days -- sorry I have been swamped and will likely be so through November. Hope you are well

rickladd

Hi Ted:

No problem. I understand busy real well! I'm enjoying my semi-retirement, but am anxious to get involved in something interesting and challenging. I'm nowhere near ready to actually retire. Besides, my two little girls are going to need someone to send them through college in another decade or so , so keeping busy is imperative for me to live that long. I'm ready to talk whenever you are. Glad I'll be able to stay in touch here as well.

shannon_marie

I was lured here by the word "actionable." I track a lot of metrics over time (registered users, activity, contribution, connection activity, etc.) and like the community health scorecard I've cobbled togther from the data available. But when the numbers dip, I never feel like they tell the "ok ... now what?" part of the story. Which is what I'm looking for. Would love to learn a little something from those who have been there and done that with Jive.

Hi Shannon-

A little delay in seeing this =) but can you share any info around your community health scorecard?  Is this something you produce for all communities in your Jive instance - or is this a scorecard for overall? (total members, content created, etc.)  We currently have a scorecard that each community owner can access with stats on their group and I am wondering what others do/what they put in their CHS?

Thanks in advance!

shannon_marie

Hi Sara,

The scorecard is for the overall instance, not for each individual community. Our "communities" tend to be more thematic, and so this is what makes the most sense for us.

I'm including a screenshot of our scorecard with the numbers nixed out (since those are obviously proprietary). I compare the numbers in three month chunks for the scorecard and indicate increases and decreases in red vs. black. Let me know if this helps.

Scorecard.png

Ted Hopton

I'm really slow in welcoming you, Shannon, but I'm glad you joined. And it's good to hear the word "actionable" got your attention! Hoping not only that you learn from others, but that we learn from you, too.

RyanSe

Hello Ted, et al.

I joined the group quite a while back however I have been so engaged in exploring the database tables to extend OOB reporting for my communities that I haven't taken the time to participate much in the community here. Now that I have a solid handle on things, I am working to re-imagine the analytics reporting I created in 2010 when we first launched.

I hope to help contribute to the expansion of this group and the sharing of best practices when it comes to benchmarking/analytics/reporting.

Ryan - I'd love to hear more about what you're trying to do with analytics and the database. We're considering a number of new directions and I want to keep needs of developers in mind. Can we chat?

RyanSe

Hey Bill,

Absolutely.

Currently there are three buckets I am working on:

• User Engagement/Adoption and Community Growth for our customer-facing employees - Along the same lines of what Ted has investigated but tailored more to our internal needs.
                                                                      • Community Health - How vibrant are the communities? Are questions being answered and how quickly?
                                                                      • Content Management - For our "push" content, the goal is to understand how that content is performing, if it is being used and if there are any information gaps. Also things like SEO, tagging and other things.

My internal customers have a lot of specific wants/needs so I have spent the better part of the second half 2010 breaking things down in to individual components so I can build a system from the ground up (using the word "system" loosely).

I stumbled upon this group because of an issue with our analytics tables. Don't ask me technically what's happening, but with our recent upgrade from 4.0.7 to 4.0.15, some nightly service to trim the analytics tables crashed our Oracle db. I'm probably going to have to make some serious decisions in the next week or so about what is absolutely necessary to keep from an historical standpoint (we launched in mid-2010)... or dump it all into some other tool and make it work from there. I have just been getting basic analytics out of Jive (number of blog posts, number of documents, comments per blog post, etc.). Our launch and uptake has been really good and I want to have the historical data to see if we can continue that momentum as we continue to enhance the community. Also, our community owners are pinging me to get them the data they want about their communities and it's such a manual process, that I am hoping to find some best practices to help out in that arena.

nsteinmetz

I joined as I feel quite blind on analytics and Jive despite the default stats and the Admin Console Reporting Plugin (ACRP) for a few reasons :

• Communities are not websites, so we do not track the same things : collaboration vs traffic to some extend.
                                                                      • We use only groups. By default, there are no stats for groups in Jive. ACRP provides only a few data and miss some (blog posts seems not taken into account)
                                                                      • Trying to understand the CREATE & co, I'm not at ease with that and then do not know how move with the few data we have.

I hope this group and maybe also some other on this topic will bring me some light

RyanSe

Welcome Nicolas,

It has been fairly quiet in here lately but hopefully that will change over time because I really like the concept of sharing best practices since this topic area can be very tricky.

Regarding the difficulties you are encountering with the OOO reporting, do you have access to the system database to run SQL queries? If so, I have a handful of suggestions on extracting useful data directly from the database that might be of interest.

nsteinmetz

Hi Ryan,

Yes, I do have acccess to the DB to run SQL Queries. Looks it's my new friend...

RyanSe

So how about this, create a new discussion thread with some of your use cases/reports you are dying to figure out and we'll take it from there. That way we don't threadjack this one

I have a giant stack of queries we can tweak and a good working understanding of the tables in the database so I can point you in the right direction.