19 Replies Latest reply on Sep 14, 2010 2:29 AM by jochemd

How Do You Manage Your Advocates / Private Messages / Email Domains?

daniel.marotta

Hello Community Managers,

I'm not going to state the importance of advocates, that's pretty much a no-brainer. But after you've indentified them, onboarded them to assist with launch and post launch activities, what then? Do you hold monthly conference calls to solicit feedback on the overall health of the community, use them as beta testers on future community enhancements, fly them in to corporate hq and show them how much you appreciate all they've done?

Looking for ideas and real life cases.

-Dan

Message was edited by: Dan Marotta 6:19PM EST on 09/01/2010 to include Private Messages and Email Domains

• Re: How Do You Manage Your Advocates?

Hi Dan,

I know that many of your counterparts are on holiday, and/or are readying themselves to present and/or attend JiveWorld10. I'll keep an eye on this thread over the next several days, and if nobody responds, I'll see if I can nudge one or two folks.

(I was going to respond about how I manage our Jive Champions advocate program, but they are more brand advocates and subject expert content contributors than community advocates, IMO. While there are similarities between managing these two collections of people, I don't think there are enough to do your question justice.)

April Jacobs

I just posted a long reply and it got gobbled up! (The recover button isn't working.)

I could talk for days about the struggle of keeping your advocates engaged! I built an advocate program, both for employees/vendors and volunteers. It can be tough because our employees are already stretched pretty thin, so community stuff is done mostly out of love! I  do have regular calls with my leaders, and reach out personally via phone, email, and discussion threads, to keep them engaged. We have quarterly bonuses and other incentives for SMEs, and a spotlight awards program for employees, volunteers, and regular members.

I'm at the point where I need to refresh the program and develop a process for turnover. I also need to upgrade the system soon and build a UAT program.

I'd love to talk more about this offline if you'd like!

1 person found this helpful
                daniel.marotta

My response back to you sunk into the recover black hole too.

Hhmmm I was going to private message you my contact info but that functionality isn't available? Oh well feel free to emal at dmarotta@ptc.com. It would be great to exchange some advocate engagement practices.

Happy to report back to the group with some do's and don'ts too.

-Dan

Quick comment, and question:

We'll be upgrading the Jive Community to 4.5.x in the next couple of weeks, so hopefully those black hole-iness moments will be greatly reduced.

Would you find private messaging valuable? We disabled it a while back due to spammers, but if you think it's a key feature in this community, we can certainly reconsider that decision.

trishaliu

Howdy Gia - Not all folks expose their contact info in their profile. For this reason, I would fine private messaging useful. There have been times when I wanted to reach out privately to someone who was participating in a discussion I was on, or maybe an Idea originator. It's a handy way to get introduced, and then we likely exchange contact info and take our messages back to regular email.

Hope this helps!

Trisha

Gia Lyons wrote on 9/1/2010 4:34 PM:

Would you find private messaging valuable?

Not public private messaging. But if you can tie it into somebodies

Friend status that would be OK.

daniel.marotta

I'm 50/50 on private messaging but agree with Trisha. For exchanging contact info, I very much prefer a private message.

As a community manager, you always want activity to show a thriving community. When you introduce private messaging, there's the risk that conversations are occurring behind closed doors instead of in public for the entire community to benefit from.

Jochem suggestion seems like a reasonable solution.

-Dan

Ideally, you could enable private messaging for certain groups but not all users. E.g. we group people into customers, partners, employees, and guests (even registered accounts), and the spammers come 100% out of the guest group. So enabling private messaging for all but guests would be great.

Daniel

trishaliu

Hi Daniel - For your customer / partner / employee groups, are those permission groups populated manually or are they field driven?

We have a customer and and employee communtion (2 SBS instances) and the permission group management has always been a challenge for us. It would great to be able to populate a permission group from a .csv file.

Trisha

Trisha,

We have both internal and external as well. We are doing this based on email domains. If you validate your email e.g. @TIBCO.com you will be placed into the employee group, and we have a mapping routine (custom built). If you sign-up and confirm your email with @customerdomain.com and it's a known domain, you will be added as customer. Some time we get updated customer domains after the fact, then we will adjust manually. If you sign-up with hotmail, yahoo, gmail etc. you are mapped as a guest no matter what else you claim. The internal instance obviously only let's internal people in, with limited exceptions.

cid:548521321@01092010-01AE

Hope that helps,

Daniel

bjewell

We too have both employees and clients in the same instance, and we have built a registration application that is driven off email domains exactly as Daniel has described. We have an email domain management tool that allows us to affiliate an email domain with one or many organizations. We've made the decision not to allow users with public email domains to register (gmail, yahoo, etc.).  As a result, we knew we were missing individuals that should have access, so we implemented an invitation tool that allows us to invite people with public email domains into our environment and affiliate them with a client organization.

Daniel, are you going to be at JW10?  Would be nice to meet and trade war stories.

Yes, we will be there with a few folks, including me.

trishaliu

Very cool - thank Daniel and Brice. We should all meet up at JW10!

In addition to the domain management, are your registrations moderated? Or, are they approved automatically?

Dan M, sorry to take over this thread! I have not yet built a track record of keeping advocates engaged. What I will probably end up doing is personal outreach as April has described. Also, in our employee community, we have been asking folks to post their success stories of how the community has helped improve their work life. This encouragement extends beyond the advocates. If I hear a whisper of, "I used the community and it was great!' then I stick my nose in that cube and ask them to post. Voila - honorary advocates!

Trisha

1 person found this helpful
                                                    • Re: How Do You Manage Your Advocates / Private Messages / Email Domains?
                                                      daniel.marotta

No problem whatsoever. Since it's a cornucopia of topics, I updated the title of the thread and added additional tags

See at JW10!

Yep, my bad for posting a non-related comment earlier in this thing, as well.

Dan, I just got off the phone with Claire Flanagan from CSC. We were discussing the differences between employee-facing and public-facing community advocate programs - she's preparing a presentation for same at Enterprise 2.0 in Santa Clara this November, and will probably include a bit of it in her JiveWorld presentation.

One thing we discussed was that external advocates are more likely BRAND advocates, versus community advocates. They advocate your company overall, not necessarily your community. But, I suspect that statement works with only some types of communities, perhaps not all (I'm still learning!). Conversely, employee-facing community advocates are more likely managed in the manner you describe.

Check out slides 15 and 20 in Jive SBS Key member Engagement Plan DIY for more details about what to do re: managing advcates. This is from Jive Strategy Consulting, a group I was in for 1.5 years, along with Barry Tallis, Kathryn Everest, Jennifer Kelley, and Carrie Gilbert.

Jive (Community) Brand Advocates

The advocates for the Jive Community are definitely brand advocates, and I "manage" them (ha!) by trying to treat them like rockstars. My goal is to build enough social capital with them so that I can "spend" it by asking them to share their insights, assets, and experiences via blogs and documents in the Jive Business Community. In this sense, I treat them more like SMEs. I also ask that they positively represent the Jive brand whenever it's appropriate to do so within their social networks, which include third-party communities, industry conference speaking sessions, via the social Web, and inside their own organizations. I also maintain a blog content schedule that I ask them to sign up for.

I build social capital with them by interacting with them via Twitter, Skype, Facebook, email, at JiveWorld, etc. I also schedule exclusive conference calls with Jive experts, about topics that they all care about, and do my best to promote their personal brands and the brands of their communities or companies via the social Web. They also have access to an exclusive online store where they can buy Jive Champion logo'ed schwag.

bjewell

Trisha,

If a registrant is using an approved email domain, then the registration is automatic with no moderation.  We only moderate invited users. If a user requests access through our support queue, we evaluate it and extend an invitation.  However, we may also proactively identify users and invite them, and from the user's perspective, their registration appears automatic.