15 Replies Latest reply on Sep 21, 2010 4:38 AM by Jackie2.0

Is it time to make this group private? Need a separate private group?

Hi Internal Community Managers group members!

I've noticed an increased level of trust within this group (yay!) that has generated such questions as:

This group is Googlable and viewable by "the world" without requiring authentication, which is a natural demotivator for sharing potentially sensitive information about your organizations.

I'm wondering if it's time to make this group private, or should we spin up a sister group that is private? We could easily link to it from this group, and decide on criteria for accepting requests to join it (such as, you must already be a member of the private The specified item was not found. group). We could also create a project within the Jive Customers private group, and just link to it from this group, but it depends on how far and wide you want to share your stuff.

What would you like to do?

• Re: Is it time to make this group private? Need a separate private group?
          Ted Hopton

I like the idea of having a private place for this kind of sharing. At first I thought we should designate a separate private place for confidential sharing, but upon further thought I think this group will have more value if the whole thing is more private. So that's my vote, too.

AmandaS

I think it’d be good to go private.  I agree that our company would be more inclined to share screenshots, policies etc. in a private area.

Having one group that is private would allow us to share more without fear it would leak out to all.  Having a public and private is not a good idea (in my opinion) since it increase the risk of putting some thing in the wrong spot.

Mike

The The specified item was not found. could function as the general public area for community managers, as well as other roles.

Putting on my devil's advocate hat here...

This group’s members will need to come up with some sort of criteria for accepting new members, and deal with the overhead of approving requests to join. As the community manager, I'm happy to approve requests, but what is the criteria for admission? If it's simply "you must be a Jive Customer" then one could ostensibly argue that this group could share sensitive information in the already private The specified item was not found. group, which has a criterion of having to be an established Jive customer, evidenced by the existence of a Support group for that person's organization (i.e., if someone requests to join, and I can't find a Support group for their company, I don't approve their request).

If the criteria needs to be more in-depth than that, is it simply, "hey, I know this person, I vouch for their integrity." If that's the case, how many of you should become group administrators so that you can make those judgement calls swiftly?

An alternative might be to use private discussions and documents ad hoc with one another, but that, of course, doesn't lend itself to sharing on a wider scale. It does, however, enable each of you to decide exactly who you trust with your sensitive information.

Thoughts?

mbangash

+1 for making this group private. Could you simply use the same permissions criteria as the Jive Customers community? While jive customers community is place to discuss anything and everything amongst the customers this community is focused on internal community managers.. For now you could keep these groups separate, in future you may merge them only if required ( i noticed that the jive customers community isn't as active as this one)

Brad.Fitzgerald

-1 for private.

I agree with Gia.  The overhead of such a setup would bee too burdensome.  Plus, just because it was private does not make me more or less inclined to show screenshots and other stuff.

The criteria for being a Jive customer for admittance to the group does not preclude my competitor from also being a Jive Customer....

I think there is much to be gained from it being a public group of Community Managers.  We can support each other since we all understand the role and the tool.

crossman

Unless everyone is signing rock-solid NDAs then making the group private makes no difference in how much I'd be willing to share about the content / screenshots of my internal community.  I am currently assuming anything I say in JiveSpace is essentially public, and a private group wouldn't change that at all for me.

So, I'd vote "no" just to simplify the logistics.

Ted Hopton

Kevin and Brad,

You're both right that even making this group "private" won't create a fully-trusted place where we can share freely. We all have to, as Kevin put it, "assume everything posted in here is public."

However, I see a difference between having that cautious attitude and having Google crawl and index the content of this group. In the current scenario, everything posted in this group literally is public. That increases the odds that something will be used inappropriately, compared to posting it in a group where the only ones who will see it are other Jive customers. Perhaps it's not a significant enough difference, but I think it's worth noting.

I don't feel strongly about this, though. I'm not concerned about the admin overhead, really. That seems manageable if we just make it like the Jive Customers group. But I wonder if one reason this group is more active than that one is that this one's open. On the other hand, it's likely we just have more in common in here than all Jive Customers have with each other.

jarin.schmidt

I prefer keeping it public. If I need to discuss something that requires privacy, I would argue this isn't the channel to do so.

FrankGebhardt

+1 for keeping it public.

This is essential a group where we can share ideas, principles or best practices. A screen shot that shows the structure of a our home page but obscures real names and any internal information is fine. If I want to engage with someone on a more detailed level I would need to (and be happy to) change the channel of communication. We'll have NDA's in place when dealing with system integrators and consultants. Why would we expose the same content in a public (or semi-public) space where we don't have control who can view this information.

Hence a private group doesn't solve it. Customers, business partners, integrators, and competitors may also use Jive and become part of this group, which would be owned by Jive. Jive cannot guaranty that commercial sensitive information belonging to any customer is not exposed to another Jive customer who are in direct or indirect competition.

cheers

Frank

Jackie2.0

I vote for keeping it public. As has already been stated if I have something confidential or private I wouldn't use this forum to discuss it. Further, keeping it open allows new users or others who may have an answer to one of our questions or an opinion to share free to converse with us.