10 Replies Latest reply on Oct 26, 2010 1:34 PM by daniel.marotta

How does your community compare to ours?

mark.schwanke

I was fortunate to be at JiveWorld10 this year. A great experience!

I was wondering if anyone had any documentation on industry standards for establishing a healthy community? If no reference material can be provided,  I was wondering if you could assist me with providing some general information to help compare our community to yours in an effort to help me grow our community. Since we've only been in the community game for 15 months, we're wondering how we compare to industry standards.

I'm not sure how willing users would be to supply this information so you can send responses in a Private Message to me if you like or post directly on this thread if comfortable. All info will be summarized and kept strictly confidential between myself and my direct management. Your company name will not be included with the data you provide. I understand if you abstain from any questions.

Document now posted at How does your community compare to ours?

Regards,

Mark

• Re: How does your community compare to ours?
          Bart.Schutte

It might be better to do this as a wiki document that everyone can edit.  Put your items into a table and people can just enter numbers etc.

sgerus

I like this idea – then each person’s contributions will be relatively anonymous.  Am willing to participate with my community’s data and am interested in seeing the results!

it2000

"then each person’s contributions will be relatively anonymous." - There is a version history which contains the author so there will be likely no anonymity.

sgerus

Oh right.  OK, here's another option that might actualy make it easier to compile the data and really make it more anonymous - I would be willing to host a survey on Surveygizmo to gather this data.  In an anonymous survey it gathers IP and location data, which theoretically you could still use to identify a responder's company, but I would be willing to delete it before sharing with everyone.

it2000

One can simply create a new account here if one thinks that comparing these values makes any sense and allows one to grow the community. I would ask only one question: How sexy(attractive) is your community? 42

And probably another one only for the Jivers: How many wholesale bookmarks do you have?

Yes, we're aware of the wholesale spam. Working on getting rid of that.

mark.schwanke

@Suzanne Thanks for your offer!

@it2000 Valid observations. I agree protecting your anonymity is important to me as well. Providing a way to provide candid feedback to see how we compare is important to me so I can make a justificationf or hiring more employees for our community to encourage the proper maintenance and development of our site. I'm concerned we'll keep growing and not have the proper maintenance and participation from a company side to meet the needs of our customers to mainain healthy participation and continued adoption. Our users like our site but I wouldn't say that it is "attractive" at this time. We certainly have some room for improvement but I must make the business case for spending the resources to give our community members what they desire and also balance that with enhancements that will provide a greater ROI to get more adoption from employees who would benefit from our community but aren't necessarily direct employees of the community.

Not sure what you mean by Wholesale Bookmarks.... Though sometimes I do wish I could restrict registered users from creating bookmarks that are outside our community domain. I do have a few that are outside our domain but they're considered trusted links/partners and do not clutter search results.

@Gia... I certainly hope your post wasn't a suggestion that my post was spam or solicitation and rather a comment on it2000's post about bookmarks. My question was an honest inquiry to what other groups are doing.

Mark

it2000

Hi Mark,

search here for wholesale and you'll get it. Sexy communities are also attractive for some evil SEO companies which try to use your community to increase the page ranking for some web sites. So if you have unusual registrations and spam post you should be on the right way.

Some companies like Oracle or Jive (I should not name both in one sentence) have a large customer base and thus also a lot of potential community users. And Oracle has so many different products which are also complex so the users use the forum. Jive has only SBS (and Clearspace) so it is obviously not a very active community. The Jive Apps may increase the activity while it is currently a complete other community.

A mobile phone community would be very boring without ringtone, customization and theming questions for the mobil phones.

So if everything works, is simple and users fine answers soon in the existing documentation users will likey not use your community.

Take a look at http://forums.atlassian .com/index.jspa for example - this is and will likely stay a community with little activity which is from my point of view just fine. I suspect that a big marketing and customization budget can not change this.

mark.schwanke

Bart

Thanks for the suggestion. I'm not sure the best format as I'm no Wiki Master.  Any thoughts on how I can make it easier?

How does your community compare to ours?

Mark

daniel.marotta

Mark,

I'd be open to share some high-level data with you. I'm not worried about anonymity. We have an external-facing community, so if someone really wanted to know how many registered members we have or our content volumes, they could easily count each line item by date. I mean, if they were crazy enough to put the time in.

I'm no wiki magician either, but maybe we can do a simple excel matrix? Criteria/questions down the left-hand column, company across the top? Want me to take a shot at it?

-Dan