6 Replies Latest reply on Oct 11, 2010 11:25 AM by rickladd

By Way of Introduction

rickladd

So I had posted this elsewhere but, upon reading the discussion regarding new members introducing themselves, I realized it was better put here than where I had put it before. I have, therefore, copied over what I wrote a few days ago and posted in the Lorem Ipsum Community.

Hello anybody who happens upon this post. Good to have you see me here. I am truly an outsider as I neither work for Jive nor am I employed by a company who uses it. I am, however, a former member of the 2.0 Adoption Council, where I used Jive, as well as a member of Cisco's Community Central, where Jive is also used (probably somewhat painfully . . . at least for those working on Quad) by many employees.

A little over four months ago I left a career at Pratt & Whitney Rocketdyne, where I had been for well over two decades. In that job, my latest duties had been to evangelize the adoption of Enterprise 2.0 capabilities and design concepts, including the use of social media (duh!). Due to the imminent cancellation of the Space Shuttle program  (for which we made the orbiter's main engines), as well as the restructuring of America's space program generally (for which we were making the engines that would return us to the Moon and take us to Mars), those of us who had achieved the dubious distinction of having reached our 60th birthday were offered a gold-leafed handshake. I accepted, in part because I wanted to seek out environments that weren't quite as hostile to change and development as the very conservative aerospace business is - partly out of necessity, but also in large part because they're just risk-averse.

Now, before I get into more of my background, suffice it to say I have no idea if anyone will ever see this post. I came here because I saw a RT of a tweet by Gia regarding how to get Executives to use social media (particularly, I think, Jive) and upon clicking on the hyperlink, was brought here where I shortly realized I could register and become a member of the community. Inasmuch as I lost my ability to use Jive when I left my job and was no longer eligible for membership in the Adoption Council, and since I'm now using it as a wannabe Community Architect or Internal Consultant for Cisco, I thought I would push about every button I could get my grubby little fingers on and see what happens. I'd love to engage with anyone who's interested, but I also want to develop my chops with software like Jive. I know how hard it is to change one's work habits and broad-spectrum collaborative tools such as Jive present major challenges for people who are used to using email and share drives for everything they do.

BTW - I really like Jive and think it's a superior product.

Message was edited by: Rick Ladd (I took out a bunch of extra spaces that must have been put in when I copied and pasted this over, and changed the tense of one verb from past perfect to the preterit).

• Re: By Way of Introduction

Hey Rick! You're not an outsider. Anyone is welcome in this community, as long as they behave. Glad to see you here!

rickladd

Thanks, Gia. If I had known I had to behave myself . . . !

FYI - Jive does not play nice with my iPad. I tried to respond from it, but couldn't get the keyboard to appear.

Yep, we're rolling out a new iPad full browser experience in Q1 2011, along with new apps for Blackberry, iPhone, and Android.

rickladd

I saw this when I was in Trader Joe's buying some groceries and wanted to respond immediately, as is my wont, but couldn't . I've wanted a ubiquitous communication device to plug into my head for the longest time, but it's looking like I'll be dead before it comes to pass. <sigh>

When you say "new apps for BlackBerry" does that mean there's alread one available and it will be upgraded, or that the initial app will be rolled out with the others in Q1 2011? OK - I just Googled it, so if I understand it right, I can currently get a vcard for the community(ies) I'm in and post via email. I'm assuming, then, the app you're referring to will be more comprehensive, yeah?

tmaurer

Hey, Rick. Even people who use email can end up working in/with a community like this. In fact, email is how I saw your post. Realistically, email isn't going to go away. And if you belong to multiple communities as I do, it gets difficult to stay on top of what is going on in all of them unless to some extent you rely upon email (note to Jive that even with "What Matters", THIS is why email notifications won't die - belonging to multiple communities).

What I've been focusing on lately is not telling people to quit using email, especially since that would be hugely hypocritical. Instead, I explain that they should consider using the Jive platform for conversations where it makes sense. If this is a topic that is going to "have legs", that others might need to get drawn into, that you'll need to reference later or hand off to someone else as a point of reference, have it online. It is more searchable, threads don't get abandoned or broken, and people can easily see how the conversation developed. But I'm sure you get the point.

Welcome to this online community!

rickladd

Hi Tracy:

Thank you. I'm not against email by a longshot. I've had many a discussion with my friend Luis Suarez of IBM, who is probably one of the more vocal proponents of abandoning email in favor of social media. Even he isn't saying to give it up completely, just that (as you've pointed out) when you're having conversations that involve the creation or sharing of intellectual capital, they should be conducted in a system that is persistent, searchable, and accessible by all who want or need access (within reason, of course). Jive is a great system for doing just that . . . and a whole lot more, eh? Thanks again. I'm very happy to be here and hope I can contribute. Now that I no longer work for PWR, I won't have specific experiences to call upon; at least not until I get a few clients and, even then, they may be small fry for a while. Nevertheless, I will do my best to contribute what knowledge I've gained over the past decade or so.