7 Replies Latest reply on Dec 6, 2010 7:09 AM by nilsbolsen

Message Templates - Additional Languages

Del

Hello all.

I thought I'd throw this one out there and see if anyone has had similar problems and hopefully ideas for an easy to implement solution.

We have employees based all over the world, all using the same instance of Jive.
      Our main offices are in Spain and here in the UK.

Presently all email notifications go out to all users in English regardless of location, and I'm trying to ensure that those based in Spain receive them in Spanish.

I've searched discussions here on the Jive Community, and have found a few different sources suggesting different things, none of which seem to work.

I'm aware that we can add additional templates to the system>settings>message templates and set the locale to a different country, however, it doesn't automatically translate the code and text within.

I've also seen that you can change the locale of the whole platform via systems>management>locale.  But I do not wish to change the locale of the entire platform.

I did find a discussion here in which a Jive rep says:

"It is absolutely possible to receive email notifications in different languages. Jive SBS ships with email templates in all supported languages and you can create additional ones.
      Which language you receive depends on the community language and your language preferences.
      If you want to customize the Message templates go to admin console-System-Settings-Message Templates"

Currently all of our Spanish users have their personal preferences set to 'Spanish' locale, and they're still getting notifications in English, so the above isn't correct, and if SBS ships with email templates in all supported languages, where can I find and implement them?

Any ideas will be very gratefully received

• Re: Message Templates - Additional Languages
          Michelle.Lavoie

i am very interested in this as well as I understood that the localization could be done on the navigation verbiage.

We have the same issue. In fact, after I set the default locale to Dutch (NL_nl) Jive SBS (4.5) does not send out any welcome emails anymore. In the log files I see:

Trouble processing template with key usercreation.welcome.email.textBody : Template usercreation.welcome.email.textBody:nl_NL not found.

How can I fix this?

nilsbolsen

Hi,

we customized the mail templates within the delivered xml files. This approach is uglier than via UI, but allows us to do a proper versioning and simplifies diffs on upgrades.

I just checked the delivered languages in 4.0.11

[0818][jive@localhost:~/applications/sbs/application/WEB-INF/lib]$ ~/java/bin/jar tf jive-sbs-employee-4.0.11.jar jive_i18n
                  jive_i18n.properties
                  jive_i18n_de.properties
                  jive_i18n_de.xml
                  jive_i18n_en.properties
                  jive_i18n_en.xml
                  jive_i18n_es.properties
                  jive_i18n_es.xml
                  jive_i18n_fr.properties
                  jive_i18n_fr.xml
                  jive_i18n_it.properties
                  jive_i18n_it.xml
                  jive_i18n_ja.properties
                  jive_i18n_ja.xml
                  jive_i18n_zh.properties
                  jive_i18n_zh.xml
                  [0818][jive@localhost:~/applications/sbs/application/WEB-INF/lib]$ ~/java/bin/jar tf jive-sbs-employee-4.0.11.jar jive_i18n
                  jive_i18n.properties
                  jive_i18n_de.properties
                  jive_i18n_de.xml
                  jive_i18n_en.properties
                  jive_i18n_en.xml
                  jive_i18n_es.properties
                  jive_i18n_es.xml
                  jive_i18n_fr.properties
                  jive_i18n_fr.xml
                  jive_i18n_it.properties
                  jive_i18n_it.xml
                  jive_i18n_ja.properties
                  jive_i18n_ja.xml
                  jive_i18n_zh.properties
                  jive_i18n_zh.xml

Dutch is not in there.
                  To extract a file use:
                  ~/java/bin/jar xf jive-sbs-employee-4.0.11.jar jive_i18n_de.xml

To repackage a file use:
                  ~/java/bin/jar uf jive-sbs-employee-4.0.11.jar jive_i18n_de.xml
                  You will have to restart the instance to get the changes.
                  Maybe, you can just add a jive_i18n_nl.xml?
                  - Nils