19 Replies Latest reply on Jun 8, 2013 8:52 AM by davidfcarr

Has anyone implemented JIVE to an internal sales org?

Any information would be helpful.  I am 2 mnths into ours and looking for ideas/best practices etc.

• Re: Has anyone implemented JIVE to an internal sales org?

Hi Cindy -

I moved your question to the internal community manager group for discussion.

Thank you,
          Candice

trishaliu

Hi Cindy -

You might check out Mary Lange's presentation from JiveWorld10: JiveWorld10: [Track #3] [Connecting Global Sales Teams with Jive] - presentation At SAP, they rolled out a Jive implementation to 1800 pre-sales team members - great story!

Candice - I looked on the video page... it seems that Mary's video is not available? http://www.jivesoftware.com/jiveworld/attendees/videos

Hope this is helpful!

Trisha

Hi there,

It looks like you work at the same place as Mary Lange! If you haven't already reached out to her, Candice is planning to connect you to her through good ol' fashioned email.

Now, if you'd like some other Jive customers' experiences, you might want to reach out to the folks from T-mobile (a few of them participate in this group). There are several others, so hopefully they'll see this thread and chime in.

Thanks for joining the Jive Community!

1 person found this helpful

Thanks everyone!  I have reached out to Mary Lange.  And thank you for the T-Mobile connection.

adam.mertz

A few more folks to connect with - scott palmer (Intel) and Jim Buck (DISH).  Both spoke at JiveWorld last month and in Scott's case he uses Jive to enable channel sales, and Jim uses Jive for both the internal sales team and channel sales.

We are also using this internally to power sales enablement for the field organization. While the site is open to all employees, it’s mainly targeted at sales, pre-sales, and professional services as well as marketing. Roughly 1600 users globally. It’s been running for almost 2 years now and we are currently focused on getting this thing onto 4.5 by end of November.

Daniel

adam.mertz

Nice!  Any best practices/learns/results you can think of (and share ) off the top of your head per CFediuk's original question?

Yes, a few things that come to mind:

• Never assume, always test, e.g. ask users for 30 min to look over their shoulder. Don't ask them if they find it difficult to do x, let them do x while you watch it. I am always amazed at the stuff I learn when I see what people are doing or how they interact with the site. Eye opening.... Does not have to be in same room, just share a webex and watch them do stuff. Be prepared to axe half of your assumptions. ;-)
                                  • Train them, again and again and again and again. Especially SALES people. Too busy to watch self-help tutorials, they will never do that. And don't think that the 30 min you get at an annual training conference after they already suffered through a "death by powerpoint" day is enough. You have to jump on every opportunity. Watch the Mattel presentation from Jive World for that one as well. Show them how you make their life easier!
                                  • Be constantly available for help. We did some virtual office hours where I sent a webex invitation to all sales people once  amonth for different regions and timezones and it was amazing how many people actually dialed in to ask some questions and I could show them how to do something right away. Even better, they all stayed on until the end to watch what questions others had. They would have never tried to describe that in an email to me.
                                  • Constant reminders about the good stuff they are missing out if they don't login. Hopefully 4.5 will automate a lot of this. For now, we are sending manual emails to people that have not logged in in a while and tell them stuff I'd likem to highlight or things that are super popular with others.
                                  • Try to get execs to participate. Highest login stats to date are all the times when execs blogged/posted something and then sent out an email to the whole company that everyone should read their post on the site... I wish I had more of this... ;-)
                                  • I recommend you take the time to watch the slides/videos from Jive World for all the internal community sessions which had a lot of good stuff around the same points.
                                  • See if you can get some "endorsement" or "success story" together and highlight how the new site has helped people get their job done faster, better, or with less effort. Then highlight it to all (potential) users, again and again.

Just a few thoughts, hope that helps.
                                  Daniel

trishaliu

Great tips here, Daniel - thank you for sharing them! I especially like the virtual office hours.

Regarding success stories, I asked employees to post success stories when I would overhear (or see email convos) about how the community helped them. Great way to collect the stories, have them be visible, and another opportunity for new users to create content.

Trisha

Fantastic tips! Another one: invite folks to a "lessons learned/success stories" phone call. People seem to share more verbally than in writing, and the stuff they share sparks "oh, and THIS happened, too!" stories.  Great education all around, too.

Round-robin style works best, and record that puppy because nobody can take notes that fast.

Then, transcribe everything and publish, highlighting the most significant success anecdotes. Invite the participants to "make sure we heard you correctly" - this can trigger a secondary round of sharing, but this time, online!

from my iPhone

Intel presentation (partner-focused only)

DISH presentation (internal field sales + channel sales) <-- I had the pleasure of being their Jive strategy consultant, and they took the unique approach of implementing multiple secure communities (on one instance of Jive) for each type of channel sales partner, plus one for field sales.

Another question I would like to get this groups take on. I am beginning to receive requests to create sub-communities from regional teams.  My first thought is that our Sales community is relatively new, and we are hoping to limit the scope of the platform to one space in order to drive full adoption of the global Inside Sales community before broadening the scope to include creation of regional or segmented sub-communities.

We were hoping users would populate their content within the larger community which would then drive demand for their own space, instead of vice versa where a regional space is created and yet another business case needs to be reinforced on when to use the platform.

Has anyone else run up against this issue?

adam.mertz

Hi Cindy,

That's another great question and I faced that exact challenge when I was managing a few spaces within our own Jive public community.  At the core of this challenge, in my opinion, is that people have an interest in certain topics - finding others who are have the same interests, watching content, etc.  Although group creation is one potential answer, per your concern another option to consider is leveraging Jive's Tag categories functionality.  This functionality makes it simple for people to just label their discussions/docs/blogs etc. during the creation process without having to figure out which group/space to post their content first.  This functionality comes with a widget that can be pulled down on a space/group that highlights all the categories as well as the # of discussions/docs/blogs/ideas/etc. that have a certain label.  For an overview of this feature check out this video I made a while back, Feature Overview - Tag Categories.  The other advantage of going this route is that multiple labels can be easily checked with the content item is created, thereby enabling that content to be visibly associated with multiple topics, whereas if it were created in a group it would only be visible within that topical group.  People can then also watch a certain tag category and/or get RSS feeds or email alerts which is similar to following a group or getting email notifications on a group/space.

Anyway, that's just one idea.  In the end, groups aren't bad but I agree with the direction your thinking of making it easy for people to post their content in as centralized and open of an area as possible.